Alpha Omega History

acorbett30

• Reviewed on Friday, August 28, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-15
The positive: Very readable and thorough coverage of US History from the early explorers to the present. The negative: SO MUCH INFORMATION, with questions on minutiae, asked a different way every time, made quizzes and tests extremely difficult. My son was so discouraged. When I started allowing him to look back on quizzes and do only the final test from memory, he did much better on the tests! But we were still unable to finish all the Lifepacs in a year.

JillBell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 3, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th-9th
  • Dates used: to many to count
Well I'll be honest this is not my favorite history Program.It definetley felt like too much work to do in one year we only completed 4 of the lifepacs the last time we used them. The history readings are very long and may need broken up into 2 or 3 days. It was very dry. My dd especially despises this program. She needs a hands on program and this is NOT! She couldn't take the long exstensive reading. My ds likes this program. He requested to use it again this year so we will be doing it for him. Now my older daughters really liked this program so we used it for all of the history for them. It depends on the student really.

qpsdoll

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 24, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th and 7th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
I was very disappointed with this curriculum. It's very hands off for the parents and pretty much leaves your kids to their own for learning. Very little is offered in the teacher's manual to help them along. The units rush through lessons and really only teach the bare bones of something. Because of that I found that both my kids had trouble with retention.

Half way through the school year we switched to AOP's Switched on Schoolhouse which is essentially the same thing as the books, just computer based. It didn't help. Still had the same problems.

I also was disappointed with the 7th grade history. It was more of a social science approach, very little to do with historical events. He spent the better part of the year on anthropology, sociology and political science. In my opinion, these are all concepts that are way over a 12 year olds head. My son usually functions well above grade level and he struggled through this curriculum with a B/C average.

I can not think of any positives to say. We were very disappointed with the whole thing (history, math, science and LA). We won't be using AOP products again.

ratx4

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 8, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
*****WARNING***** There is no room for SOS geography in the Christian home. They should not advertise themselves as a Christian curriculum when their curriculum is teaching the doctrine of humanist global warming. I was floored to see just how much was being taught. I had hoped after the first unit, it would lay off, but it seems to just keep going. We will be looking for a new program. If you believe this jargan, then buy it, but parents should know about this ahead of time.