Rod & Staff Math

MotherDuck

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 3, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1-6th
  • Dates used: 2007-2014
While we started using Rod and Staff in early elementary, this review is mostly about grades 5 -6. We've tried other programs, honestly, because sometimes R & S gets a little boring after so many years. But each time we end up coming back to Rod and Staff. There is nothing flashy about this curriculum. It's methodical, thorough, practical, and no-nonsense. There's no "new math" or other silliness. I think that even a child who is not naturally gifted at math will at least have a solid foundation with this curriculum. In our case, we've often had to adapt the curriculum, review many many times, or work a little more slowly, but I'm constantly amazed at how thoroughly the books teach concepts. We've tried computer-based programs and other programs, but I always came away with the feeling that my child wasn't really learning. Some children may learn a concept by just doing a few problems, but I think most of us need to do a good many problems before we memorize and then actually learn how to perform certain skills.

Christie M

• Reviewed on Monday, May 12, 2014
  • Dates used: 1992- present
We have used Rod and Staff math for some of our children, not all. :)
This program is very good, especially for teaching mastery in the elementary and secondary grades.

Some of our children have special needs and Rod and Staff has been vital in helping them learn math concepts.

There are fancier programs out there, but they are not as well organized and layed out, as Rod and Staff math.
The teacher books are wonderful!

I like that the children learn to copy work instead of just filling out answers in a consumable work book.
This extra skill is vital!

Our daughter went from using book 7 (1/2 way through) and then entered 9th grade in Public High school where she took Algebra 1. She had always struggled with math.
The background she got with Rod and Staff has made it possible for her to do well in Algebra this year.

Thank you Rod and Staff for your wonderful, faithful service to our family.

wshacademy

• Reviewed on Monday, May 5, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013/2014
This is one of the most thorough math curricula on the market. The only thing I have to change for mine is the fact I have to add manipulatives since mine are hands on. I HIGHLY recommend this math program. You will not regret it

gratitude

• Reviewed on Friday, November 15, 2013
  • Grades Used: Grades 1, 2, 3, & plan on continuing
  • Dates used: Fall 2012 - present
Solid. Foundational. Builds a solid math foundation the children can build on as they grow in math understanding. Sets a stage for advanced mathematics. Drills the math facts to the point they can do them without thinking and in quick time; I know how helpful this can be later from my own math education!

I switched to Rod and Staff math when my oldest was just starting 3rd grade and I am very glad that I did. He had done Singapore books 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, and started 3B. I actually had to take him back a grade in R&S math. The reason was that as much as he learned conceptual mathematical thinking with Singapore he never learned his math facts. He had to think about every single fact. I couldn't see us continuing higher until he knew his basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts without having to think about them. Rod and Staff, happily, solved the problem!

I read pages and pages of math reviews for Rod and Staff and could not find a single poor review. I did find many excellent reviews. This included one that mentioned that the private school that scores in the top 2% in the nation for math uses Rod and Staff for Grades K thru 6th. The math foundation Rod and Staff lays really is that good.

I highly recommend this program. I dread the day I have to look for Algebra for 8th grade, and only wish this one went higher. I do recommend teaching from the Teacher's Manual, and the extra worksheets can be helpful at times. I also recommend Milestone Books. They ship quickly each and every time, and the prices are very reasonable. We also use Rod and Staff for our English program and phonics program. It is my most successful curriculum choice that I have made over the past four years.

BTW: We have to test and my oldest tested 99th percentile in math after a year with Rod and Staff.
12345678910...