Alpha Omega LIFEPAC

Alyeska

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 17, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
This is a cut and paste review that I posted under Language Arts.

My son has been using the 4th grade LA this year. I've been very pleased with the topics covered, dictionary and thesaurus usage, and the variety of activities.

He has made significant strides in LA this year and is nearly back up to grade level, thanks to the AO Lifepacs and a lot of hard work on his part.

As to the price, I don't have a problem paying for what we received. For a full subject, the price is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The TM is well organized and is of good quality. The booklets are of decent quality also, although not as high as the TM. However, this does not bother me. The booklets get used for 3 or 4 weeks and are then thrown in the trash anyway. We have not had a booklet fall apart before we finished it. The pages are able to withstand incorrect answers being erased by a vigorous boy. : ) The paper has never torn or seemed flimsy at all. Another plus to AO Lifepacs is that the materials aren't changed every year or two. SO many other homeschool publishers come out with 3rd, 4th, 5th editions. Are there THAT many changes to be made?

I fully plan on continuing this language arts with him in future years. We may even try some other subjects because the LA has worked so well for him.

lisabaker61

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 20, 2014
  • Dates used: 1988 - 2000
I taught my children from 1988 to 2000 with AO LIFEPACS and recommended it to EVERYONE. It was very well laid out and progressed logically. My children graduated with 3.8 grade point averages and seemed to be way ahead of their peers.

What was amazing about it was that it was all laid out for me from start to finish. I was a high school drop out, but I was still able to teach my children. I just read ahead of them and looked up what I couldn't figure out. I learned so much from that curriculum that I was able to complete high school myself and go to college. I loved it!

However, I am not happy with the current curriculum. Now my children are teaching their children. They were VERY frustrated with AO LIFEPACS, so I looked it over. It has become choppy and inconsistent. It is obvious what had happened.

Parts were cut out and other parts were incerted at the oddest places. Answer keys didn't match the tests and directions were vague in many places. I was disappointed. I would NOT recommend this curriculum to anyone.

We are now trying to pull together a curriculum that will meet or exceed the old AO curriculum. There is currently nothing available at these high standards laid out in a logical sequence.

If someone knows how to get ahold of the old publications of the AO curriculum, please let me know.

hale

• Reviewed on Monday, January 6, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013
We started homeschooling about half-way through my son's 8th grade year. He has always been an exceptional student, far above his peers.

My son's strengths are in reading (always has a book in his hand, and has consistently read 2-3 years ahead of his grade level). He's always been average in math, and not a fan of science. Hearing how advanced Alpha Omega is, we thought this would be a great start that would enhance his potential.

My biggest complaint is with the LIFEPAC History. The text was inconsistent and some of the assessment questions were based on information that was not even presented.

One example of inconsistency is found by reviewing the first 3 chapters. In the opening lesson it stated that America was first discovered by those that came across the (ice) land bridge. Later it listed Leif Erikson and the Vikings were the first to discover America. The assessment asked who was the first to discover America. Which answer did they want; a) the Asians that came across the land bridge, or b) Leif Erikson and the Vikings? Neither of the answers were in the teacher's guide.

The missing information I was referring to was discovered after reviewing a failed unit test. The test question asked something similar to "What was the climate of the ___ region?" The text never mentioned the climate or anything alluding to the climate.

My son was failing simple quizzes and was discouraged. I thought he was just being lazy, so I went through with a highlighter and highlighted the answers to the questions as I went along. Not even one unit through the first book I found so many similar examples I returned it for a refund (I had to speak with the CEO of the company to get this).

With so much invested in the total package curriculum, we decided to finish the year on-line. My son "hates school."

I do not recommend AOA.

kwright1977

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: First
  • Dates used: 2011-present
We have been using AOP LifePacs for two years now- Kindergarten and 1st grade. I think the LifePacs are great, however I only use them as a guide. With most of the curriculums I have seen, you have to supplement. The reason we homeschool is because we want a more progressive, hands on education for our children. The Lifepacs have provided a good base for us. I find the layout and style of the subjects well thought out. I do think some of the lessons are too easy, but we choose the lessons we go more in depth with and which topics we move on quickly from. I can see how as kids get older this program would not be enough. I have yet to find a curriculum that I feel covers exactly what I want it to, but I also enjoy finding and using other resources along with the LP lessons- that's why I homeschool. And, with the AOP prices, I can still afford to use other resources- I don't want to spend a fortune on a curriculum and be chained to it. I want to piece my child's education together according to their needs and what works for us.
I do wish they would keep the Core Subjects and Bible separate- I say this as a person of faith.
12345678910...