Alpha Omega LIFEPAC

hale

• Reviewed on Monday, January 6, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013
We started homeschooling about half-way through my son's 8th grade year. He has always been an exceptional student, far above his peers.

My son's strengths are in reading (always has a book in his hand, and has consistently read 2-3 years ahead of his grade level). He's always been average in math, and not a fan of science. Hearing how advanced Alpha Omega is, we thought this would be a great start that would enhance his potential.

My biggest complaint is with the LIFEPAC History. The text was inconsistent and some of the assessment questions were based on information that was not even presented.

One example of inconsistency is found by reviewing the first 3 chapters. In the opening lesson it stated that America was first discovered by those that came across the (ice) land bridge. Later it listed Leif Erikson and the Vikings were the first to discover America. The assessment asked who was the first to discover America. Which answer did they want; a) the Asians that came across the land bridge, or b) Leif Erikson and the Vikings? Neither of the answers were in the teacher's guide.

The missing information I was referring to was discovered after reviewing a failed unit test. The test question asked something similar to "What was the climate of the ___ region?" The text never mentioned the climate or anything alluding to the climate.

My son was failing simple quizzes and was discouraged. I thought he was just being lazy, so I went through with a highlighter and highlighted the answers to the questions as I went along. Not even one unit through the first book I found so many similar examples I returned it for a refund (I had to speak with the CEO of the company to get this).

With so much invested in the total package curriculum, we decided to finish the year on-line. My son "hates school."

I do not recommend AOA.

kwright1977

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: First
  • Dates used: 2011-present
We have been using AOP LifePacs for two years now- Kindergarten and 1st grade. I think the LifePacs are great, however I only use them as a guide. With most of the curriculums I have seen, you have to supplement. The reason we homeschool is because we want a more progressive, hands on education for our children. The Lifepacs have provided a good base for us. I find the layout and style of the subjects well thought out. I do think some of the lessons are too easy, but we choose the lessons we go more in depth with and which topics we move on quickly from. I can see how as kids get older this program would not be enough. I have yet to find a curriculum that I feel covers exactly what I want it to, but I also enjoy finding and using other resources along with the LP lessons- that's why I homeschool. And, with the AOP prices, I can still afford to use other resources- I don't want to spend a fortune on a curriculum and be chained to it. I want to piece my child's education together according to their needs and what works for us.
I do wish they would keep the Core Subjects and Bible separate- I say this as a person of faith.

cranberry2366

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 29, 2012
  • Grades Used: third and fifth
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
we used the language arts and math.
Pros:colorful, appealing to look at, well organized. lots of review of what was learned.

Cons: didn't take a lot of time to explain things well..we will be switching to switched on school house. even there is review concepts weren't grasped I feel like they should have been.

deidrejackson

• Reviewed on Friday, February 17, 2012
  • Grades Used: K,2nd & 4th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We are new to homeschooling. So after much research and talking with other home school families we chose to go with AO Lifepacs. I will start with the Kindergarten Curriculum:

It seems too easy for my daughter and I wish that there was more variety to the lessons. I actually started her with the second book which is intended to begin after the first 79 lessons are taught. I didn't want her to get bored. I also wish that they had a bible curriculum for Kindergartners. I have to supplement that area.

With regards to the math, it doesn't spiral and there are not enough examples to review concepts. So, if your child doesn't grasp the concept, you have to supplement until they are ready to move on. I've had to stop using the math book until I reviewed enough where my daughter was ready to move on to the next concept.

AO Lifepacs for Kindergarten are limited to Language Arts and Math-- I've had to supplement her bible, science, history and social studies. So this is not truly a full curriculum if you are looking for more depth coverage of more than two subjects.

2nd & 4th Grades:
Overall, my favorite LPs are the Bible and History and Geography. My children really enjoyed them and actually learned some new things with these subjects. The math wasn't bad but it doesn't allow enough time for my kids to master specific concepts without moving to the next. There were also not enough examples nor did the teacher manual provide enough explanation of the material covered.

The Language Arts material was fair but like the math not enough explanation when introducing new concepts or terms. My children weren't particularly excited about the LA or math but they are hanging in there.

I did not purchase the Science LP from AO because it appeared to be a grade behind and I would've had to purchase a grade up for my 2nd & 4th graders.

I will continue to use the Bible and History & Geography curriculum's we absolutely love these. At the end of the school year I will be on the look out for a new Math and LA curriculum.

I hope that this helps!