English From the Roots Up

themrgshow

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 17, 2011
  • Grades Used: 8,9
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I tried this book but it was too boring. I ended up using something a found over at TPT. It uses images that represent the meaning of the root. Works great and the kids loved it.

<a href="http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-Roots-Mnemonic-PowerPoint-Flashcards-Part-1-ANTI-COSM">Greek-Roots PowerPoint Flashcards</a>

momlove7

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 29, 2009
  • Grades Used: 5th, 6th-
  • Dates used: 2009
We are using this as part of My Father's Word Creation to Greeks as vocabulary. We are doing all of the Greek words this year and using it next year in MFW Rome to Reformation for Latin vocabulary. We love it. Each week, we create a card with our Greek word on the front. On the back of the index card, we put the derivative and on the lines, we list related vocabulary that consist of the derivative. The vocabulary are listed in the text which is a spiral bound book. I purchased index card boxes for each child to store his cards for the year. We create the cards on the 1st day day, use the dictionary to define vocab on the 2nd day, create sentences using the vocab words on the 3rd day, review the 4th day and test the 5th day. So far, my children are learning and having fun with it.

srhkrby

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
I purchased this book based on all of these great reviews! We tried to start out with this at the beginning of the year. It is not really a book. It is more like flashcard templates. It shows you how to make your own flashcards. My son couldn't get into it. We are going to try Rummy Roots card game next. This was too boring.

Diane S

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 16, 2004
  • Grades Used: 4th & 7th grades
  • Dates used: 2003/04
We love this book! It is a book full of Latin and Greek ROOTS. Each page has one root, its meaning, and words that are formed from the root. Each week, we pick two of these (we use the flashcards) to study. We post them on our white board. The kids basically copy the cards into their notebooks, and we use them whenever we get the chance. We also got Rummy Roots card game which has been FUN and really cemented the meanings of the roots! My kids are really learning to decipher words and what they mean. I think this will be invaluable in the future! Especially on the SAT's if they choose to go to college.