A Reason For Spelling

Homeschooley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
  • Dates used: 06 and 07
GOOD! I LOVED it! It was colorful and gave the kids the proper procedures for doing the work it taught them what the needed and it was FUN!!! It may distract some kids with the colors but it engaged my children! There is a story to read to o along with the words! It is GREAT! But it only goes to 6th grade!

trainingup3

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 23, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
This is our first year using ARFSpelling and we are really enjoying it. Many of the words are easy for my dd but she is learning how to use them and that they often have different meanings depending on how you use them in daily life. It is more than just memorizing the spelling, it is learning how to use the words too. We have used Abeka in the past, and while I do like Abeka for many things, I just didn't like spelling this year. My daughter was becoming frustrated. ARFS has 18 words each week (you can add more words if you like). The week starts off with a moral story based on Scripture and then has different methods of review. It is made so you can choose what activities you do and leave the rest. Also, at the start of the week there is a pre-test to check what your child already has a grasp on and what he/she doesn't. If your child gets a perfect score, you could choose to skip that week's lessons or you may stick with it but cover the different usages of some of the words. Reviews are quick and easy and often fun making it a joy and not a drudgery to do this curric. While this curric isn't phonic based it does cover some phonic rules (it will have you shade all the consonant blends/clusters in each word; give you all the ways that vowels are combined to make a certain vowel sound - like ou, ow etc and that will be a focus for that week but not drilled upon). It also works well with their handwriting program as the two (at the same level) will use the same Scripture. We are having so much more fun with spelling this year and I do plan to stay with ARF Spelling for my dd and my boys once they start spelling lessons.

chrissy_grn

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 21, 2006
  • Grades Used: Level B
  • Dates used: 2006
We switched to a Readon for Writing this year from Spelling Workout (which dd hated) and she absolutely loves it. She asks to do spelling first every day. There is plenty of practice, including a choice of 4 different "fun" activities once a week that caters to different learning styles (this week dd "wrote" her words in shaving cream).
My only complaint is that, although it does group words together that have something in common, it does not really teach spelling rules. Examples: Lesson 2 covers words with the short "e" sound, including men, head, and again. Lesson 5 is the short "u" sound and includes words like none, what, and once.
Overall, though, it is a good program and dd is retaining so much more than she did with Spelling Workout.

specialk

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
  • Grades Used: K - B
  • Dates used: since 2002
We love this spelling book!! My dc enjoy the puzzles, games, and activities. I enjoy the ease, the journaling, and they are retaining what they learn. There is a story with each lesson which the journaling builds on. Also the above activities help to learn their words. We do not do the pretest as it doesn't work well for my dc. Also please note that this is a parent taught program so you will have to spend time with it. It's not the type of program you can just give your student and have them do it on their own.