A Reason For Handwriting

melanie.newlife

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 15, 2016
  • Grades Used: 2nd & Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
I didn't think a separate handwriting curriculum was necessary, but my son's was atrocious, so I decided to give this one a try. My son is a 2nd grader, so I got him the level B book. My 4 year old daughter told me she wanted to learn to "make letters," so I got her the K book. Both of them have absolutely loved these books! I have also seen a huge improvement in my sons writing. In the B book, each day's assignment is very brief, so it makes it really painless. And as everyone else has said, my son takes a lot of pride in his border sheets and choosing a family member to send it to. The K book doesn't have the border sheets. It does one letter at a time, first lower case, then upper case, with a coloring page for each. Every few pages, there is a review sheet. My daughter loved it so much, she FLEW through the book, doing multiple pages a day. By February 1st, she had finished the book, so I went and bought a handwriting workbook at Walmart. She doesn't like it as much as ARFH. My only con is that there is a big jump from book K to book A, and I don't think my daughter will be ready for it next year. I plan on using The Alphabet Book with her instead for kindergarten (I think that's by Memoria Press). So just keep that in mind if you start a 4 year old with book K. I do plan on using book T (transition to cursive) with my son next year. This curriculum is great, especially for the price!

becca

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My ds who detests writing did very well with this program (book A). He even really liked decorating the border sheet each week! Sending the sheets to people really motivated him and he was always very proud of his work.
For this coming year I ordered the book of border sheets (we aren't learning cursive this year) for him to write out his weekly memory verse since we will be doing MFW. These pages are thicker and stronger than what you find in most hs consumables.

AK_Mom4

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 9, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
We didn't like A Reason for Writing Level C.
We started out using it daily in the fall, but DD was having alot of trouble figuring out how to form the cursive letters from the examples in the book. And many of the letters were different from the way I made them, so it was a struggle.

We did like the idea behind the book of writing little verses and such, but DD never got that far.

After trying daily for two months, we switched to handwriting Without Tears. We had no trouble figuring out the examples and now at the end of year, she has beautiful cursive writing.

Pretty-In-Pink

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 25, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st Grade
  • Dates used: 2008-Current
I was really kind of concerned about my daughter's handwriting. She's a young 1st grader (just turned 6 in September) and while she's incredibly advanced in a lot of things, I found her handwriting to be lacking. It didn't seem to match up with where I thought it should be. She could read well, spell well, but when she wrote she was sloppy, some of it was illegible, and she DETESTED the handwriting sheets I made up for her. Then, I got ARFH. She loves the short daily lessons and the best part is the writing of the scripture verse at the end of the week! She gets to pick a friend to send her sheet to every week and she works really hard to make her handwriting nice so that it'll look good when she sends her border sheet to her friend. I've been so impressed with how much her handwriting has improved! I think this book has been key to getting her to put forth a good effort, and it's really paying off!