Art with a Purpose

heavenlyhoney

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 9, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2010-11
I appreciate that Art with a Purpose is inexpensive and all in one handy art pack.

However, we didn't stick with it for long. This may be characteristic of only the first few packs, but I found the projects very repetitive, with a lot of emphasis on coloring, cutting, tracing and pasting and not very much inclusion of actual art techniques (although the ones included are well done).

For an easy to implement art curriculum without much prep, this would fit the bill to just get it done, but I like more variety than what the 2nd and 3rd grade levels offer.

dlstrubhar

• Reviewed on Friday, April 11, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-8th
  • Dates used: 1990-1999
I grew up with this curriculum, and enjoyed the fun easy projects. I went on the become an artist myself, working for 3 different publishing companies. The curriculum itself is not very advanced, and any mom could teach it., but I credit a lot to the hands on experience with art, always having paper, pencils, and projects readily available. It is very inexpensive compared with other curriculum. For years it was only $5 a pack. I understand that they are in the process of upgrading from pack to tablet form, with all instructions right with each project and that it will be $8 but that is still cheap. The upgrade is an advantage. I always hated searching for instructions on the instruction sheet, and other project pieces throughout the pack. It is produced by Mennonites, and very conservative, so you won't have to worry about content(no nude drawing, etc.)

hsmomof5

• Reviewed on Monday, December 10, 2007
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 4th,-
  • Dates used: 2007-
Fun. Very easy to use. Fridays are Art days for us. They get into the shading, coloring, crafts, etc. My boys love it which says a lot for my "bored easily" crew. We will continue to use these. My dc really like them.

frankiec

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 8, 2007
  • Grades Used: Artpac 1 & 2
  • Dates used: 2007
I was hoping for a bit more meaningful art.

They are boring, cut and paste, poor quality blackline worksheets gummed together at the top to make a "book". Not at all what I thought they would be. Artpac 2 is a glorified cut-and-paste coloring book. Only a few activities at the end of the book seem to teach anything that a regular coloring book won’t. A simple coloring book of their favorite characters with a range of coloring materials would be more meaningful. If that is the second level, I didn't even want to open the Artpac1 (it’s bundled in shrink wrap). The Abeka art seems better than they are and has a better range of activities. I would not recommend these to anyone. I will be returning them ASAP.