Progeny Press guides

busymom5

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: lower elementary
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
My third grader has used four of these guides (two at home and two while attending a private school - her teacher loved them too).

It is true they can get a little long which is why we don't do them back to back. I do think they are worth the extra energy required because it forces the kids to think and re-read certain passages in order to capture the meaning of some questions. The latter is my daughter's chief complaint. ( "Mom, I keep having to look back at the book!" To which I replied,"That's the whole idea!")

I have my daughter read the chapter then complete that chapter's section in the guide. That way it is fresh in her memory and we don't run into the problem of working on the guide long after the book is finished. The guides we've used contained vocabulary and dictionary work, and the introduction of literary concepts. They also lead them to apply Bible truths and character qualities to the story line and characters. This is in addition to answering basic comprehension questions.

I appreciate that my daughter can easily complete sections in her guide independently. I can then check and discuss her answers with her.

I have been very impressed with the content of the guides and will continue to use them.

sbaloue

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 5, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd & 5th
  • Dates used: 2008
I purchased a few of these guides to use with books we are reading for Cantering The Country.

We like these guides but...they are long. We first used The Clipper Ship guide. My sons were done with the book and we were not a quarter of the way through the guide! We are now using The Cricket In Times Square guide. This time around things are going a lot better because the book is much longer.

These guides do a good job of drawing out everthing possible from the book, but sometimes it is too detailed for us. We do about half of the activities orally and skip a few. Still, my sons are asking not to do anymore of these guides ( I have 2 more scheduled) and to just read the books. I think we will skip the last two guides.

(I was planning to use the 4 guides as a break/change of pace from our last four years of LLATL. We were then going to continue with the LLATL series. My sons said they just want to use LLATL without any breaks.)

Good product, excellent christian content but just to long and drawn out for us.

trackmom

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 3, 2007
  • Grades Used: 4th-8th
  • Dates used: 2003 to present
My son is now in 7th grade and I have used a ton of PP guides. They are the best that I have found. Some guides seem to focus on just literal comprehension. However, PP guides really do an excellent job with higher level type comprehension questions...they will get your child thinking. I also appreciate how the PP guides have actual literary type lessons in them. These are the only Christian novel studies that I have found that address literary elements. I heard Hewitt's Lightning Literature are also good...however, it is a guide for a series of books and not just individual novels. We enjoy picking the novels that we want to use each year. There are quite a lot of questions and you should probably skip a few to make the flow of the book move along. Oh! I love how they incorporate the Bible in the guides too! Just wonderful! Now they have the guides on CD's which makes printing copies for multiple kids easy!

J. Buckley

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 18, 2004
  • Grades Used: Lower Elementary/Middle
  • Dates used: 2004
I used P.P book study (Minstrel in the Tower) with my 9yr old boy who is not brilliant at reading. He enjoyed the 'pre-reading' activities.

I found the studies a bit long (finishing the book long before we finished the book study. So we did not finish the book study.

Educationaly I was very impressed with the study. If I was to use P.P again (and I will), I will skip some of the 'comprehension' questions and use it to fit our situation and not feel that I have to answer EVERYTHING!

It required minimum teacher supervision.

We used the book study to fit in with our 'Medivial' theme.

Excellent if you like Unit Studies, as they can easily grow into one!