Professor B Math

KJsMom

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 5, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd & 3rd
  • Dates used: 08-09
I really wanted to love this program, I really did. There are parts of it that I do love, but I feel like we are losing ground. I decided that to use this program effectively we needed to start at the beginning in level 1. I didn't want the teaching style to conflict with the way our girls learned addiditon and subtraction and I figured they would breeze right through. I was completely wrong and now in April, we are barely half-way through. My 3rd grader is having trouble now with borrowing of all things! I think if we had started out with this program, it may have been wonderful. Since we did not, I'm giving up!

momoflots

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 7, 2007
  • Dates used: 2007
Wow. Absolutely wonderful. But it just covers the basics of arithmetic. You will probably still want to use another program for problem solving and so forth.

Carolyn Harrison

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 4, 2006
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2006 on
Just started using Book 1 of Mathematics Power Learning for Children, and I've learned tricks and shortcuts that I wish I'd known in elementary school! My eight-year-old understands "trillions" and my math-phobic ten-year-old is asking for more.

We'd used A Beka Math for the last few years, and it's a thorough spiral program; however, it's advanced, quite repetitive (which can be good, but we skipped a lot of busywork) and I already had them working a grade-level above where they would be if they were in conventional school. So heads were banging off the walls.

Prof. B's breaks it down into simple steps, emphasizes oral and written repetition to the level of facility, then MOVES ON. Although my kids could have probably started in Book 2, I ordered Book 1 to ensure that we would be utilizing Prof B's methodology and terminology consistently. And I'm glad I did; although we're zipping through it, there are tricks, shortcuts and terms that will facilitate rapidity during the next levels.

I ordered the three Teacher manuals and Student workbooks (except for Level 1 workbook); CDs would probably be very helpful but I'm on a budget!

Following completion of this program (or perhaps in conjunction; haven't decided yet), we'll likely also try Cornerstone Curriculum's Making Math Meaningful, as the Level 5 book is self-(student)directed. Life is basically independent-study anyway, is it not?

Sign me a proponent of Professor B -
Carolyn in NC

blessedmom4

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
  • Grades Used: 3rd and 6th
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
Every serious homeschooling parent owes it to themselves to take a close look at this math curriculum. Professor B Math takes typically "hard" math and makes it easy. The key is how effectively the subject matter is taught...eveything makes sense. I started my twins on in the first book that covers Pre-K through 2nd...they whizzed through that with no problems. Now they are mid-way through the level two book working well into 4th grade math concepts while still in 3rd grade. I bought a very expensive DVD program for my 6th grader, it took her over an hour to get through each lesson, after much frustration and seeing how successful my twins were having with Pro B Math I made the switch to Prof. B's level 3 book. Once it arrived and we began math again and reviewed the first lesson together, she quickly undestood the concept and was able to finish the work page in under 15 minutes! Why...because as she put's it ..."it just made sense the way Prof. B explains it! This is not your traditional math program, it' very "out of the box". The computer CD is awesome for it's visual explaination along with the lesson. This is stirctly arithmetic, so you will have to use a supplement to teach things like geomotry, or time, but that is easy enough to do, and well worth it, when all the really hard stuff is made easy.