American School

CMB97

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 2, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I am 17 years old and enrolled in American high school. I dropped out of my local high school half way through junior year. They had nothing but problems getting my transcripts. So if your wondering whether or not to sign up for this school here's my experience. They put me in Physical Science B, English ll B, and algebra 1. AFTER completing those courses they say i have to now complete Physical Science A, and English 11 A.
The courses are bland, there is not one test for Physical science its all just definitions, it feels like busywork. Going through the courses there are links to other information and pages, some of which require you to answers questions on the link. Well in my time here I have not found a signal link that works. I told them through messages and unanswered questions on the work sheets but they seem not to care.
After you turn in an assignment it will take about 4-5 days for a grade to show up. So I will be transferring out of this school, we payed about $900 for the semester. Just to be clear on which high school it is the link is below. Do not waste your money, I have had nothing but problems with this school.

pattib845

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 4, 2014
  • Grades Used: 9th grade
  • Dates used: 2014
Hello, new here, please excuse my confusion. The "American School" you are referring to, is it the online "myamericanhighschool" or a different school, can anyone share a link for it, thank you

terriveganmom

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 14, 2012
  • Dates used: 2008-2012
My parents moved to a rural area when I was in high school in the 1970's. I was a very mature and academically advanced student and we were disappointed in the "hick town" high school (we had moved to be near grandparents) so I began researching correspondence schools so to find an accredited program where I could study on my own. I chose American School when I was 15 because I noticed Donny and Marie Osmond and other entertainers my own age were using it and it was fully accredited by the same agencies that accredit regular high schools and colleges. I was amazed at how super simple it was to do 4 years of work in a year.

Fast forward to now. I have been homeschooling my daughter and using American School as a side dish to get an accredited diploma. It is so easy it is pitiful. This is for kids who don't need or want any academic challenge at all. She has done the American School curriculum in her spare time from doing the much more advanced work I have developed for her. I went to college and graduate school and I am a homeschool consultant and teach parents how to homeschool and offer many classes and activities for homeschooled kids from preschool to and including college.

The texts are so easy, my daughter would be bored if this was it. The general science text is dry as dust and tries to ram all of science into one course in a text the school wrote with no color photos and very few details. The math is a joke. The "health and physiology" is a kiddie book on abstinence . All in all, go with American School if you want an accredited diploma but do continue to homeschool with much more challenging work than this. This is "high school lite" to be sure.

DeerRidge

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
  • Grades Used: 9th/10th
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
My oldest son began using this program in February of 2011. We chose American School because we knew several families that had used it as their high school program and it is very affordable.

So, far it has been just fine. He just completed his first course, Psychology, and is waiting for the replacement subject to arrive in the mail. They only send 2 courses at a time, but I believe you can request more. Also, you can choose to substitute other courses for those on the primary list. I agree that Math Essentials is too basic for high school. I looked at the at the entrance requirements for our local colleges and have requested those classes from American School.

There have been no lost tests, however, there have been a few times when it seemed to take a long time to get the grades, especially the first test. We usually get the test result e-mail about a week before the graded test arrives in the mail. Each test is graded by a different person. However, these test are primarily multi-choice, so I don't think it really matters if different people grade them.

My son is *not* a self-motivated student and he also has a disability which requires him to use special equipment to read. However, he's done really well with the courses so far. He has been finishing up some of his 8th grade coursework while doing these two 9th grade A.S. courses and this has worked well for him. I look over his self-check tests as he goes along and am available to help if he needs me.

I read several negative reviews here before I ordered American School, but decided to go ahead because the friends I knew who were using it were satisfied. It is secular, however, this is high school so by this age kids know what they believe and its time to start preparing for college, so academics take priority, in my opinion. A.S. also now offer a few classes online.

The main selling points for us were the price, the standard HS curriculum, the accredited diploma, and accountability to someone other than mom! Also, if my son were to need to go to public school at some point during his high school years he will have a transcript.
----------------------------------------------------

Update: Dec 2012
We are still using this curriculum and although I do have some complaints, which I will mention, we are overall still happy with the choice to go with an accredited diploma under American School.

Issue 1: Only 2 courses at a time are fine if the student has other non-accredited coursework to do, but otherwise it's unrealistic and doesn't provide enough material for each school day.

Issue 2: They don't tell you which courses they're going to send first and the order in which subjects are sent needs improvement. My son received Psychology and Career Planning before ever seeing a math book! Both of these classes are better suited for the older student finishing his high school career. I felt they were a waste of time for thim at that age. They need to stick with the basics first. Also, if your student is good at math and up to speed, make sure you tell them NOT to send Essential Math. If they do, send it back and get Pre-Algebra or Algebra I.

Issue 4: The first English class he received was called Building Your Writing Skills 1. I truly LOATHE this particular class. The texts are written "in house" and are very poorly laid out. The course is unneccesarily long and bloated (2 textbooks!!) for a freshman level english class and the title is not accurate. It's heavily focused on grammar with some creative writing instruction. There is no instruction in basic the basic forms of writing. If I had known better, I would have sent it back and requested a different English class for freshman level.

The courses that have used a standard educational publisher textboook have been very good. The customer service at the school has been excellent. The people who grade the tests leave encouraging remarks (although sometimes they overdo it a bit).

They only require 18 credits for graduation, whereas my state requires a minimum of 22 and recommends 26. But additional courses can be requested to meet the requirements for your state.

This isn't an advanced program by any means, but it works fine for any homeschool student who wants an accredited diploma and the freedom to supplement his education as he sees fit or needs time for other interests or a job, etc.