Slow and Steady Get Me Ready

AnneS

• Reviewed on Friday, May 22, 2009
  • Grades Used: PreK
  • Dates used: 2005-Present
When my oldest daughter was 1, I looked at this book and thought it was silly. I didn't understand what it was trying to teach! Ah, my humble pie was to come!! When my daughter turned 2 1/2, I began to see the wisdom of the simple activities. When she turned 3, we began to informally do PreK at home using this book (we just used more than 1 activity a week to catch up). I took a list I had of the skills children need to learn before starting K and this book covers every one! It is the cheapest way to do PreK at home and know that your child is going to learn what they need to. One thing I especially love about this book is that it uses every day normal things you'll have around your house for the lessons and activities--you won't have to buy much of anything in addition to the book.

We haven't used it consistently this year with my middle daughter because she's been listening to her older sister's K lessons and I've been using a Mailbox Letter of the Week book for her, but I look forward to pulling it back out with my 1 year old son.

acevedogj

• Reviewed on Sunday, July 15, 2007
  • Grades Used: ages 18 mo-28 mo
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I bought this book after my son turned 1 after hearing great reviews. Although we didn't start our "lessons" at birth, I read through every lesson from the beginning and played "catch up" on the things I thought he would enjoy or maybe we hadn't touched on a lot yet. I wouldn't say this is a "curriculum", but it has a lot of good ideas for age appropriate learning for every stage of baby and toddler life. Some activities we didn't do, and others are just common sense. It sparks a lot of good ideas of how you can help even the youngest child/baby learn about the world around them. I also homeschool my almost 7 year old so my younger is always wanting to be involved in "school." I think this is a good resource to have on hand.

infojunkie00

• Reviewed on Friday, March 9, 2007
  • Grades Used: toddler
  • Dates used: 2003
I had this book when my son was 2-3 yo. I would not reccomend it as a "curriculum" for preschoolers. What I did was just pick and choose whatever activities I thought my son would
enjoy. Your library may have this book so you could try before you buy.

juliec

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 30, 2006
  • Grades Used: age1 to 3 prek
  • Dates used: 2003-2006
Another thumbs down to slow and steady. Only aportion of the activities were feasible and appealing for my sons, and they only last about a minute. The prep time is atleast 4x as long as the actual activity.