HomeSchool Easy Records

Caligirltoo

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 25, 2008
  • Grades Used: 7th-8th
  • Dates used: Fall 2008
Time 4 Learning is an exciting innovative program!

My daughter is a first time user and so far, she loves the program. Her self confidence has improved as she has taken more responsibility for completing her lessons.

We're currently using the Social Studies and Language Arts modules. As a visual learner, my daughter finds the lessons entertaining and educational. Time 4 Learning is very user friendly, I appreciate the self quizzes, tests and progress reports. The only negative: I can't preview a quiz or test, or print one if I need a hard copy. Otherwise, it's great and affordable!!

thriftyspendwell

• Reviewed on Sunday, July 8, 2007
  • Dates used: 2007
I value the input of the software author regarding the critique placed here about his program. I feel that arguing knowledge based upon a spouse's occupation is an invalid and innane thing to do. That said, I have evaluated the software myself and find it lacking in some ease of use aspects as well. I also find the support website to be less professional than I am accustomed to.

Yet, one cannot fail to state the importance of the reviews of this author's diligence in providing quality solutions to his customer's difficulties. If you are willing to work with him to resolve any difficulties you have with the program, or to simply stick it out until he addresses them himself (since his updates are free spanning years at a time). Then this is the program for you. In addition, the chance of individualized attention to your own suggestions for improvement would seem to be far greater with this publisher given the author's remarkable level of customer support evidenced here.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to spend improving my time saving software.

I will post the same disclaimer Vince did - I believe this complies with the rules of this forum, if not - feel free to remove my opinion.

Let the buyer beware - the burden of research into your potential purchases lies with you!

vdugar

• Reviewed on Sunday, February 26, 2006
  • Grades Used: All
  • Dates used: 2006
Note: I'm the author of HER v3. I think this posting complies with the rules here (it's not an advertisement -- just a follow-up to Julie A's review). Please remove my posting if I'm wrong.

Thank you, Julie, for keeping an open mind regarding the program! Maybe this posting will help...

With added features comes added complexity -- but you can still add assignments just as you did in HER v2 without any added steps (if you don't use the Lesson Plan Manager part). Indeed the assignment dates will auto-date for you according to the schedule you set up -- but if you don't want that to happen, there is a way to "disable" auto-dating -- just create a future "filler" assignment and check it as 'Done'. Normally, folks do want the auto-dating to work (it follows the day-of-week schedule you set for each course) -- saving you the time of typing in all of those dates.

The Assignments font indeed is a bit smaller (thanks to Microsoft). A variable font is on the wish list.

Subject ordering is actually still there. You will find it in the Student-Course Record form.

The "books read" list is not really gone. It is a subset of the Materials Manager (MM). Now, once you enter a book once into MM, you don't have to re-enter it if another student is going to add it to their reading list.

Since your review of July 22, 2005, there have been many tweaks and improvements. That said, I'm always looking for ways to improve useability. Thank you again for your feedback. - Vince D. -

Julie Avedikian

• Reviewed on Friday, July 22, 2005
  • Grades Used: all
  • Dates used: 2004+
I have been using HomeSchool Easy Records for two school years now. I purchased version 2.0 last year, and I loved it. It was easy to use, and it kept me very organized.

I recently upgraded to version 3. I was very excited about this new program. However, after using it for the last few weeks, all I can say is "YUCK".

My husband is a usability specialist, so I know when I find a very user unfriendly program and this is it. Entering data was much easier with version 2. Version 3 takes twice as long. The Lesson Plan module allows you to write your lesson plans once and then import them for multiple children/multiple grades. However the program sets the dates, and you are not allowed to change them to fit into any schedule changes you may have. A BIG let down there. If you hand enter all your assignments, the program makes it difficult to change the date on one without automatically changing the dates on all the others. I simply had to delete all the assignments and start over. That is a huge pain!

The font on the Daily Lesson plan reports is so small as to almost be unreadable without a magnifying glass. The reports in version 2 are much easier to read. He also removed the option of placing the subjects in the order you would like to do them. Something I really need.

The "books read" journal that I loved so much is gone. It was replaced with an all emcompassing materials manager. A good concept, but difficult to use.

The author of this program spent many hours in development. However the lack of usability proves once again that programers don't always make the best designers. This program needs a lot of work to make it as usable as version 2.0. I am looking forward to any updates that may improve it. Until then I suppose I will just muddle through, but I haven't deleted version 2.0 yet.