Climbing to Good English

Druanna

• Reviewed on Monday, June 19, 2017
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2016-2017
Simple. Easy to use. A good program. Will be doing the 2nd grade book next year.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 25, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd-8th
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
I switched my children from Rod & Staff English to Climbing to Good English. CTGE is very thorough and straight-forward, with no teacher prep at all.

Pros:

- It's so inexpensive. Even though it's a workbook and you have to buy new ones every year, they are only $5 each or less.

- The instructions in the lessons are clear and to-the-point. This is one of the main reasons I switched to it. Rod & Staff is rather wordy, especially in the higher levels (6+).

- I love the writing instruction. CTGE teaches types of paragraphs and revising and proof-reading and lots more; all useful expository writing and all things I want to cover with my kids.

- It can be used independently so that my kids don't have to wait for me to do their English. They can just get it done on their own and finish school sooner.

Cons:

- The biggest down side is the font. Lots of people complain about the font. Honestly, we have found this very easy to get past, but some people have a harder time with this.

- I'm not a huge fan of the dictionary re-spellings but they are only in the lower levels and I am finding them easy to skip.

- There are a lot of exercises and therefore a lot of writing, especially in the 5th+ books. I have often modified the instructions or only had my boys complete some of each type of exercise

melissasb

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 21, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
I love the simple do it by yourself approach. I wish I would have know how easy book 1 is before I bought it. If you've done a complete phonics for two years or more like we have (Saxon phonics k and 1) then don't bother with book 1. It's review of phonics with a little grammar sentence writing for the last half. It's not worth the money when book 2 covers it.
I will continue to use CGE with my oldest till my youngest son is old enough to do Shurley with my oldest son. CGE is simple but complete on the subjects it covers.

jriddle

• Reviewed on Monday, June 20, 2011
  • Dates used: 2005-2011
I LOOOVE C2GE. I picked it up from a homeschool fair one time for $5 with very low expectations, but it completely ironed out my first grader's weaknesses in English grammar. So I kept him in it for two more years, and he has learned more from this series than almost any other (we combined it with Bob Jones English 2 and Rod and Staff English 2).

I have continued to use this series with my subsequent boys and while it is totally dry and boring, they have really worked through the fundamentals almost independently. For the youngest years, when explaining grammar can be very wordy, the C2GE series walks them through tiny lessons very incrementally. They get better without even noticing that they are making progress.

The first book is great for when your kindergartner finishes the Rod and STaff kindergarten series and can write/spell/sound out simple three letter words. Start there and watch how just one lesson a day with barely any "teaching" on your part gets them to writing sentences and then simple stories and letters, paragraphs, etc!