Learn To Write the Novel Way

mckinsey2

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 21, 2011
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
The other reviews seem to cover all the aspects of this curriculum. It is best suited for the student who has an interest in creative writing, and it helps to hone ideas for characters and events. It steers the student to delve deeper into who the characters are, how he would act or what he would say in a given situation, thus allowing the student to really begin to know his characters. With creative writing, sometimes all that is needed is a bigger nudge to write, and it worked very well with my 9/10th grader.

She had already been writing a story, but needed help that I couldn't give her. Using LTWTNW helped her know her characters and where the story was going. She wrote, and re-wrote her story, with the goal of someday having a "real" book. After re-writing and editing, she published her first book in December 2010 (after graduating high school in 2009), which was the story she originally had worked on as a 9th and 10th grader! She has two more books that will be published this fall, 2011. LTWTNW helped her learn how to get the thoughts from her head onto the paper, and she still uses some of those methods today (like brief outlines of where your story is going).

We definitely give a thumbs up to this curriculum.

Tracy D.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 5, 2007
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
My daughter used LTWTNW this year for English 10. It gives you a full English credit if you add vocabulary studies. She liked it. It is very well laid out, easing an entire novel out of the student. The story is not just written, but rewritten, edited amd prepared for publishing. The author writes in a conversational tone, which is nice for students working independently. There is a teachers manual, also.
Grammar is studied in a pre-test, practice, post-test manner so you can focus on what is lacking, and not repeat unnecessary lessons.
Obviously, this book teaches narrative writing. There are no lessons on research reports, etc. I would say this book would work best for students who already somewhat enjoy writing and would like to do something extra special. It is very nice seeingthe finished product. My daughter was very happy with Learn to Write the Novel Way.

juicygirl4u731

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
This course is a course that will improve you writing ability, but sometimes I didn't want to write or there was nothing else to do. It did help me to understand writing, although I sometimes wanted to do something else than just write. I am not using it this year. It is definitely a course for people who love love, love, to write. I do not think I will use it again, but all in all the course itself was ok.
Whitney

Karen Linton

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 12, 2003
  • Grades Used: 6 - 12
  • Dates used: Currently (2003)
We started on this a couple of months ago, so I'm not a veteran with it by any means, but!! It is great. My boys hate to write (A Beka destroyed their creative instincts.), but with this program, because it takes it one very small step at a time (and I'm taking even smaller steps than the book has set up), they are willing to write and to rewrite and to rewrite and to...well, you get the point!

My sons hated creative writing, well, any writing at all really, but have really jumped into this project with both feet!

My grade? A+