Imitation in Writing

vsheldon

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 7, 2012
  • Grades Used: Fairy Tales
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My nine-year-old son enjoys this program. The vocabulary and critical thinking that are included in the assignments challenge him and keep him interested.He loves being able to add his own creative flair to interesting stories without having to actually write from scratch. I love that it's so simple to use!

Penny Imeson

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 20, 2004
  • Grades Used: 3rd- 6th and even above
  • Dates used:
I have been homeschooling ten years, and this is the first writing program I can highly recommend. We have used the fairy tales collection and plan to use a few more in the series next year. (other books in the series-Aesops Fables, Greek Heroes, Greek Myths, Medieval Legends, The Grammar of Poetry)

The format is as follows:
1. The student reads a simple 3-4 paragraph fairy tale. (They get progressively longer and more complex)
2. On the next page the student does a simple outline of the fairy tale.
3. A few sophisticated/advanced vocabulary words from the fairy tale are looked up and defined.
4. The student gives a brief description of each character.
5. The student rereads the fairy tale.
6. The student looks at page 2 (outline, vocab words, characters) and rewrites the fairy tale without looking at the original. Editing and rewriting follow.

We usually take a few days to do each writing assignment. I am amazed at the beautiful writing that I have seen. My daughter loves this book! After years of groans about writing assignments, I am thrilled!

It's $20, spriral soft cover and reproducible.