Science Roots

Karen Bensley

• Reviewed on Friday, May 14, 2004
  • Grades Used: Junior/Senior High
  • Dates used: August 2003-May 2004
We have been using the Vocabulary Vine Living Roots:Latin and Greek Roots for Biology and Life Science for the past year for my 8th grade sons.

What an excellent course! It has been an exciting and effective way to weave Latin and Greek roots into their vocabulary, and the best part is that is follows the sequence exactly with their Apologia's Exploring Creation with Biology. Each chapter of roots matches the modules in Apologia Biology. This is an excellent way to get them to apply their root knowledge immediately to what they are reading AND helps immensely with the definitions for the biology study guide, reading, and tests. Instead of having to learn hundreds of words for biology, they learned 123 roots that they could apply, and not only to science but to other readings. It includes roots and definitions, study guide words, important terms, and general science terms, but different games to increase your practice with the roots. To keep pace with the Apologia curriculum, you essentially studied one new root per day, and reviewed quickly prior roots. It takes maybe 15 minutes a day. There are built in days for more in-depth reviews. The book is non-consummable, inexpensive, and you can purchase root cards already fabricated if you wish. Nancy has been very helpful with questions through e-mail and phone calls.

I think that my sons' high scores in biology were, in part, due to this vocabulary program, and I know it is also helping their general vocabulary as well. We are part of a biology coop, and I could tell which students knew their roots and how to apply them to figure something out. As a person in the medical field, I wish I had this type of vocabulary program emphasizing Latin and Greek roots to help me through all my sciences! Thank you, Nancy, for designing this program for your family, and sharing it with us.