Sister Wendy's 1000 Paintings

Druanna

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 3, 2016
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
I used this as our art study for my kindergartener and it was great! I simply allowed my student to select a work of art from the book she thought interesting. Next art lesson, we'd read what Sister Wendy had to say about the piece and then my child would draw her own version of it. The results were fascinating and a lot of fun. Low key way to do art that actually teaches students how to view art with a critical, detail-oriented eye. My child also became curious about the artists and we ended web searching a few so she could see photos and I could read their bios to her. Good stuff. We'll be using this for First Grade as well.

*side note: because this book contains hundreds of classic art pieces, it is full of nudity and the Sister is obviously addressing an adult audience in her descriptions as some of them contain allusions to adult topics though all tastefully worded. It didn't bother us but it might make some parents uncomfortable. (If it doesn't bother you, it actually opens up a great instrument to study the human form in the context of art.)

Laura Q

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 13, 2003
  • Dates used: 2002-ongoing
Want your children to learn something about Art and how it relates to History? Buy this book! The $40 US price tag is well worth it. It is a resource you will turn to for many years to come.

Sister Wendy is obviously passionate about Art History, and her enthusiasm is contagious.

She has also created a series of videos based on her Art History books put out by the BBC. They are also very interesting, and well worth checking out from the library (or purchasing if your budget allows).