Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science Books

MayberryMommy

• Reviewed on Monday, March 6, 2017
  • Dates used: ??-present
Sweet little science concepts in quick read books. I always keep my eye out for these at thrift stores and often order a couple randomly with other Rainbow Resource orders.

melanie.newlife

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 2, 2014
  • Grades Used: Pre-k and K
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
These books are an easy and simple way to incorporate science into your curriculum for your little ones. The books are the perfect length for their short attention spans, have great illustrations, and many include experiments you can try (but only if you want to). Most are available at your public library, so don't feel like you have to buy them. However, I have snatched up many of them at Goodwill for fifty cents apiece just to have some at home! Even my 2 year old enjoys them and has participated in some of the experiments. Most experiments are simple (my kids loved trying to balance an egg on their feet like a penguin), but they do vary because they are written by various authors. For example, we did NOT build a bat box!

The only con for me, as others have mentioned, is that they are NOT written from a Christian worldview. For example, the one on frogs talks about them living millions of years ago and shows pictures of them evolving. I just skipped that part, honestly. I also have avoided the ones on dinosaurs, archeology, and geology for that reason. Also, if you check them out from the library, pay attention to the copyright date. Many have been republished and the older ones don't have the same quality of illustrations. Some of the older ones also have out of date information and rarely, if ever, have any activities or experiments at the back. Our closest library branch is also the oldest branch in the county, so I usually request the newer ones from one of the newer branches. I didn't know about the older editions at first, so this may save you some headache.

Also, what I decided to do was focus on plants and animals this year (K), and next year we will do the books on the human body. It gave me focus when I looked at the huge list of titles in the series!

Kacidee

• Reviewed on Friday, April 1, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-present
For a lack of a decision, and my love of these books, I decided to use these as science for my Kinder this year. She loves them, as do I.

As I look at the options for 1st grade curriculum, I must say that I have (more easily, this year) decided to stick with these for teaching science as we move into 1st grade. These books are secular (and some parents don't dig that), but as a Christian, isn't it MY responsibility to teach my child about the Father & Son? Yes, it is. So I find I can easily marvel with my child about the wonders of God's creation *because of* the books' content, as opposed to having the books teaching her that. I rather prefer it, in fact :)

The pictures and illustations vary in style, but all of them are lovely & hold her interest. She, at 5, will pull one out to go thru by herself (which was another hope when I purchased these to begin with). Some (a lot) have science experiments, where applicable, and where it's not, there are plenty of discussion questions. A mama can easily create a worksheet about each book's content, if so inclined. (I have done this a few times, myself). This year, tho, I will probably use each book foundationally, and then have her "lapbook" on each subject.

The main thing is that every one of these books are truly informative, and presented in a way that holds little minds about the subject. So beloved are they in our home, that they are also frequently chosen as bedtime stories.

As I've sat here today, preparing for next year's curriculum, and once again reviewing it all, I find it much easier than last year. The one I was really 'worrying' myself with was science. But, as I reviewed a small variety of science currics, I finally (and quickly) came to the conclusion that I will definitely continue to use these into first grade. And this year, it'll only be *more* fun ;-)

heavenlyhoney

• Reviewed on Friday, April 9, 2010
  • Grades Used: K-2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-10
These are great books. There are many titles in the series and we own most of them. The text is simple but packed full of great info and the illustrations are beautiful. We also use them as our core for science in the very early grades and continue to use them as supplements or just fun reading as the kids get older. Most of the books contain simple activities and experiments that are really great!

My only complaint is that these are secular books so I tend to avoid the ones that deal with dinosaurs, fossils and other topics where I would expect to read about millions of years. However, that may not be a problem for some.