Tricks of the Trade & How to Teach Any Child to Spell

mucklingmomma

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 30, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
This looked like a great program, but for my daughter, it kept her from writing anything. She became afraid of my finding wrongly spelled words in her work, that she would then have to enter into her notebook. Since it is based on critically viewing each thing the child produces instead of on encouragement, it had the effect of lowering her productivity. It might work better for someone who isn't as sensitive to criticism as my daughter.

Negin in Grenada

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 25, 2007
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2007
I was very excited to get this program. I'm sure it may work well for some. I don't like the amount of preparation and work involved for the parent. I need a program with minimal work for me. This is too complicated and too much hassle. It would be an excellent program if for each of the spelling/word families, we were given more examples/more words, not just one or two words. This program is giving me a headache and I am disappointed at the amount of work involved. It's a shame, because it could have been a great program.

Laura Q

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 13, 2003
  • Dates used: 2002-ongoing
This program is not a series of lists to be memorized. It is not a traditional spelling program. It is not aimed at children who are naturally good spellers. It was made for the rest of us.

Forget everything you thought you knew about spelling. This is totally different! Everything is explained in the Teacher Book: How to Teach Any Child to SPELL. It will tell you all about the method, how it works, why it works, and how to put it into action.

The Student's spelling notebook: Tricks of the Trade is unlike anything you've seen for spelling before. It is your child's tool to learn to correct their own spelling in their everyday writing rather than a set of lists & rules to memorize. Your child will only concentrate on rules they don't already know, or ones that cause them problems. But first they'll learn to Correct Their Own Spelling Mistakes!!

This program is amazing. It is great for all learning abilities. It is inexpensive and yet it works so very well. Give it a try. You probably will not be disapointed, and even if you are, you're not out a lot of money.