Natural Speller

momlove7

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 23, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 4th
  • Dates used: 2008
We used this mid-year due to my not so natural speller having trouble with our old spelling program but we quickly switched back. NS is a great curriculum by we found the word lists too easy. Each grade has several word lists arranged according to phonetic sounds. Daily activities are suggested for learning in the categories of latin/greek roots (for older students), vocabulary/dictionary skills, and grammar. Donna Young.com has some suggestive info for putting your NS lessons together also. There are rules in the back of the book, which is in the form of a thin workbook.

JennieB.

• Reviewed on Monday, March 31, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd and 5th
  • Dates used: This Year
I thought I'd redo my review on this. If you like things set up for you and ready to go, than this may not be such a great "fit" for you. You do need to plan ahead and make your lessons. However, the more I'm using this, the more I'm finding that I do like it. I like the freedom to make my own lessons to "fit" my children. Don't let the thinness of this book fool you, there's a lot packed into it! It contains a year's worth of spelling lists for grades 1-8. You can also use the words in the order you like. Mix it up a bit! Here are some activities the book recommends:For practice, write a sentence for each word, write the word out five times, alphabetize the words, or write out the definition of the word. Assign an activity one day of the week for four days and on day five, take the test. Example: In the grade 3 section, are the words listed according to sound pattern, choose 10-15 words. I've chosen to use calf, catch, desk, wrench, pinch, trick, frog, pond, munch and duck from the short vowel sounds. Now, for day one, I'll have my child write the words in alphabetical order, day two, he'll write them out five times, day three, he'll give the definitions, day four, he'll write them in sentences, and day five, he'll take the test. Mix up the activities. Don't do the same activity for every week in the same order.

Cassie Hale

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 4, 2005
  • Dates used: on-going
This is my favorite Spelling program and it is absolutely complete. If you, like me, are trying to be as frugal as possible, this is a great resource. Not only does it teach YOU how to teach spelling, it includes word lists for each grade level. It also includes grade-level grammar exercises, teaching strategies and activities, and a complete listing of word parts (French, Latin, Greek, etc) to be studied by the child. When I first saw this book, I thought there's no way it covers everything. Well, it does and more! I looked at Spelling Workout, which is a great program, but if I can save money by having an all-in-one, non-consumable program that's easily implemented, why not go with it? I found the word lists more impressive than the other programs, and the cost is under $20 most places. Please check it out before investing in any other program. Donnayoung.org even has a sample schedule using this particular curriculum. Hope I've been of some help!