Mega-Words

bec-rockz

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 4, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
I have often posted on the homeschool forum here about how much trouble my daughter has with spelling. I have used just about every publisher out there over the past several years...Abeka, BJU, Rod and Staff, AAS, and a few others I can't recall at the moment. She always did well in the BOOKS, and on her end of the week quizzes and tests, but she never was able to spell when writing papers or letters and notes. The same words she would ace on a spelling quiz, she immediately forgot how to spell anywhere else.

When researching dysgraphia last summer I ran across a few recommendations for, "Megawords". It is very inexpensive, so I ordered Megawords 1. This first book in the series is geared for 4th to 6th grade. It introduces syllables. My daughter did well with it,but I ALSO noticed for the first time she was correlating spelling into other written work. When she completed book one, I ordered book two in the series. She is now halfway through it. Book two teaches about suffixes.

Not sure what it is about Megawords,but this program is WORKING. For the first time I have found a spelling program that my daughter LEARNS from, and she retains that knowledge.

Megawords takes maybe 15 minutes a day. The first few days in each lesson need 5 minutes or so of my time, to teach new rules, and to dictate words. The TM is a must, if only so the teacher has the word lists to dictate, and also to know the spelling rules being taught. After the first few lessons, I simply assign one or two pages a day, and my daughter completes them independently. This is not the typical spelling program that has a pretest, one page a day workbook pages and a quiz at the end of the week. Each new lesson has about 15 pages. My daughter usually takes 9 or 10 days per lesson.

If I could give stars to rate this, I would give it 5 stars. I have heard no complaints from my daughter, she is learning and retaining how to spell, it takes very little time and is simple to teach, and it isn't costly. I have nothing negative to say about Megawords at all. I wish I had found it years earlier. One book takes about half a year to complete, so it is easy to do two levels per school year.

LynnH

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 15, 2012
  • Grades Used: 6th-
  • Dates used: 2011-
My ds is an average reader, but I found that he has trouble decoding some of the harder words in the books he is now reading. He tends to pronounce them wrong. This impacts his comprehension. I bought Megawords to see if it would help and we are almost done with book 1 and I would say yes it has helped quite a bit. It teaches phonemic rules which in turn helps his pronunciation. It also works on spelling and he does all the spelling activities, but I haven't put much emphasis on those because he does studied dictation for spelling. It also works on vocabulary and reading comprehension and fluency. I like that you can take a pre-test for each section and if they can read the words fluently and spell them fine then you can move on to the next section. We will continue to use Megawords as a supplement next year and most likely until he completes all the levels.

Wendy W

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 8, 2007
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
My son has struggled with reading and spelling from the start. After trying a wide variety of methods, we eventually settled into the Explode the Code books. In about 4th grade it all finally "clicked" and his reading skills took off. Although I realized that he still had a lot to learn about phonics and spelling, we were both so weary of the struggle that we set it aside for a few years. Eventually I took a close enough look at what areas still needed work to be able to look for appropriate resources. Mega-Words fit the bill perfectly.

The first book teaches the different types of syllables and how to recognize them and divide the words. It gives a lot of practice in writing the words, and though it is geared toward learning to spell them, we have not emphasized that aspect. My concern has been to help him to analyze and read larger words (we use Sequential Spelling for spelling). My son is about to finish the first book, and I have ordered the second.

I like that the books are formatted to be appropriate for older kids. No cutesy characters or childish stories. No "grade levels" to make a kid feel like he is behind.

chrissy

• Reviewed on Monday, May 9, 2005
  • Grades Used:
  • Dates used:
I must correct my last review on mega-words....the website for samples is epsbooks.com