Building Spelling Skills

becca

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
The first grade book was a a wonderful book for my ds who had no previous phonics knowledge. At the beginning of the year he could read at a 3rd/4th grade level but couldn't write ANYTHING. This nice (and cheap!) spelling book gave him phonics guidance as he learned to spell. The pace was just right and I was impressed with how much ground it covered in one year. Great purchase!

citrine

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, just began 8th
  • Dates used: 2010-present
Before using CLP's Building Spelling Skills, we used A Beka. With A Beka, dd did well on the test, but misspelled the same words in her other writing and notes.

I saw CLP recommended somewhere and we tried it. She immediately liked it and has much better retention. The spelling and vocabulary lessons are written directly to her and spelling is her favorite subject.

Discotrish

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 11, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-12
My 7th grader thought he was "too old" for spelling. I got Building Spelling Skills anyway because I said "until you're getting hundreds on all your spelling quizzes, I guess we can still do spelling!" I agree these lists are a little on the tough side, but that's why we're doing this book, to improve on the harder words. I have to admit I'm sneaking in some vocabulary with this method -- whenever he doesn't know what the word means, I have him look it up! The book has a variety of exercises, and works on families of words. I like this program well enough that we're planning to continue with 8th grade spelling next year.

talynnlang

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 25, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008-09
Most of the spelling words are pretty advanced, and many of the words are words which I had never even heard. Beside from this, I believe it is excellent to be introduced to such a broad range of vocabulary. Even though many words may never be used or remembered, some will. I think it's very important to acquire a broad range of words, as the majority of the population has a very limited vocabulary. My daughter is an extremely good speller, so she has not found any difficulty with using this book. However, I could see where many children could be frustrated with this curriculum.

I don't know if we will even bother doing spelling in 7th grade, since she really doesn't seem to require it.

If you have an advanced speller, and if you find the wide variety of vocabulary attractive, you will most likely be pleased with CLP's spelling books.