Building Spelling Skills

citrine

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, just began 8th
  • Dates used: 2010-present
Before using CLP's Building Spelling Skills, we used A Beka. With A Beka, dd did well on the test, but misspelled the same words in her other writing and notes.

I saw CLP recommended somewhere and we tried it. She immediately liked it and has much better retention. The spelling and vocabulary lessons are written directly to her and spelling is her favorite subject.

Discotrish

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 11, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-12
My 7th grader thought he was "too old" for spelling. I got Building Spelling Skills anyway because I said "until you're getting hundreds on all your spelling quizzes, I guess we can still do spelling!" I agree these lists are a little on the tough side, but that's why we're doing this book, to improve on the harder words. I have to admit I'm sneaking in some vocabulary with this method -- whenever he doesn't know what the word means, I have him look it up! The book has a variety of exercises, and works on families of words. I like this program well enough that we're planning to continue with 8th grade spelling next year.

talynnlang

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 25, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008-09
Most of the spelling words are pretty advanced, and many of the words are words which I had never even heard. Beside from this, I believe it is excellent to be introduced to such a broad range of vocabulary. Even though many words may never be used or remembered, some will. I think it's very important to acquire a broad range of words, as the majority of the population has a very limited vocabulary. My daughter is an extremely good speller, so she has not found any difficulty with using this book. However, I could see where many children could be frustrated with this curriculum.

I don't know if we will even bother doing spelling in 7th grade, since she really doesn't seem to require it.

If you have an advanced speller, and if you find the wide variety of vocabulary attractive, you will most likely be pleased with CLP's spelling books.

ediec

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008
This is a great spelling book! It is very straight forward in method. There have been a few words that I thought were a little archaic. We simply left those out of our word list that week. I like that they teach the words in word families for 1st grade such as short vowel words together and then learning words that end with digraphs such as ck. Then moving on to long vowels and other digraphs. Very well organized and I like that it is God centered. We have been pleased with everything we have used from Christian Liberty Press and will continue using their spelling books in the future grades.

Finally all of there textbooks are very economical. That is rather important for us since we live on such a tight budget. You get more than your money's worth with Christian Liberty Press.