Beyond Phonics word pattern Stories

dogmansgirl

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 4, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3-5th
  • Dates used: 2010
I bought this for my two struggling spellers, after trying several other programs. Now I am a struggling homeschool mom. It is expensive and difficult to follow. The lessons do not flow and it is so complicated to implement. I am sorry I spent the money. We are struggling along with it until our budget allows for a better alternative. I would not recommend this jumbled, difficult program.

dogmansgirl

DeeinFL

• Reviewed on Friday, November 30, 2007
  • Dates used: 2007
This was a disappointment, and an expensive one at that.

We found so many errors just the first week of the program, and there was no continuity in the lessons. It is not an organized program where you can pick up and go. The flow of the lessons are all jumbled.

You sort of choose the word patterns that you want to focus on and then you just go from there. Some of the stories didn't even make sense and were long and drawn out, and this frustrated my son. Some of the words were words that my son would never encounter in any program.

Overall, this is not the program that I would purchase if I wanted to improve a reader, or a speller. Something like Megawords, which is inexpensive and very detailed, is more what I would recommend for an older child needing improvement.

Sorry. This one was a bust for us.

Dee

Heather

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 14, 2004
  • Dates used: sept. 2003-march 2004
Beyond Phonics Program comes in two binders (at least the addition I have does) The teachers binder contains introduction to the program concepts and many great teaching tips and also pages and pages of extra activities in case you need them. (There are word puzzles for some lessons there also. And writing assignments so you can include those too if your student needs that. plus more)
Each word list contains about all the words in the english language that follow that pattern, or pretty close to it.It is definately adequate for 3rd all the way through 12th grade. My daughters are 4th and 5th and we use about 10-20 of the words each pattern, but many lessons have 30-40 words and some have 12-15 depending how common the pattern is in the English language. The number of words is totally up to you as the teacher and the activities still apply no matter if your third grader is doing 6 words or your 11th grader is doing all the words. It is mainly devoted to those patterns that are NOT spelled the way they sound. These are visual patterns to teach the student who naturally spells everything phonetically to learn what correct spelling LOOKS like instead of just what it sounds like.
There is a nifty story for each lesson that incorporates all the list words, so even if you decide to use only 7 words the child is still exposed to the whole list when you read the story to them (or they read it). The program is nonconsumable *if* you use a notebook, which is what we do. The students binder is a copy of each story with the list words missing which he can fill in for practice. We found these very hard to do at their level but they would be entirely appropriate for high school. And maybe sooner if the student is very bright in this area. To gve a glimpse of how it works I'll tell how one of our weeks goes.
Mon. -- girls write the new pattern -*aught* in the margine of the next clear sheet of their notebooks, then I read the words out and spell them and they copy them down. I read the story to them.

Tues.-- we go through and give definitions for each word which they write in the notebooks. I keep these very simple.

weds.& Thurs--I read the story to them again. Then I give them an activity from the teachers book or that I just think of. Some are: abc order, dividing the words up according to parts of speach, adding prefixes and suffixes to the list words, using list words in a sentence, making a word search or crossword puzzle from list words, trying the fill in the blank story from the student book, ect.

Fri.-- they study the words for a while and then I give them their test in the form of an old fashioned spelling bee. They love this.

This program works wonderfully for both my auditory learner who absolutely insisted that everything *must* be spelled phonetically because that-is-how-it-sounds-Mom! To my visual learner who I think memorized the spelling of the Dr.s name before I brought her home from the hospital.
I give it a 100 stars!
In the Christian edition, the stories are very character oriented and really make you think. Some are funny and others are very serious. There is lots of clip art sprinkled through out the program also. It is black and white, but cheerful too.
This program could be done independently also which we are going to try next term, if they are ready.
This is the only spelling program they have ever liked and that I have ever enjoyed teaching--we will never use anything else!