My Pals Are Here Science

littleblessings

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 17, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: Fall 2009
We have been using these books for about a month now. We like the structure, presentation and information provided. The books are very readable and my 2nd grader gets through them quickly. The downside is that we do not have all the supplies for the experiments suggested in the activity books, so we have to go online to buy them separately.

Machelle Littlefield

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 17, 2004
  • Grades Used: 3A + 3B
  • Dates used: 2004-5 school year
This program is intended for 3rd graders, although I purchased it for a 1st grader. according to the website, children in Singapore don't really start getting serious about science until 3rd grade, and I found the texts intended for grades K-2 to be FAR too basic and pre-schooly. My first grader can't read the books by herself, but the material covered is right at her level. I bought the textbook, which is a thin paperback book full of color pictures, along with the activity book and workbook. Again, my 1st grader cannot read these herself, but with my help, she is working right through it and loving it. The facts are presented in kid friendly terms with photo's that reaaly keep their attention. The pages in the workbook and activity book seem a little repetitive at times, so we skip a few pages here and there, but all in all it's pretty thorough. This level covers biology (in two parts, 3A + B) but the price simply cannot be beat! I think each book was around $6. Singapore is known for high science and math scores, and based upon what I have seen this far, we will use this program next year as well.