Gods Design for Science

funkmomma71

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 17, 2017
  • Grades Used: 5th & 6th
  • Dates used: 2014 & 2017
My daughter did through God's Design for the Physical World in 5th grade. It was probably her worst year of science, the text was dry, boring and at times confusing because key information is not included. Most of the lesson read like an encyclopedia entry, just an outline of the subject being discussed without very much substance.

My son started this year with the newest version of God's Design for Life, I had hoped that the subject matter would lend itself to more interesting lessons, but alas that is not the case. The last lesson we did was titled "Flowering Plants" and it was covered in two paragraphs and a list of vocabulary words with another paragraph on "Plants in Industry" for upper-level students. Included in the lesson was an activity of looking at and describing various flowers.

Most of the lessons follow this pattern, very, very short lesson followed by a worksheet or simple activity. If you are looking for short lessons with lots of colorful pictures and diagrams, then this might work. If you want hands on and/or more information you may want to look elsewhere.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 25, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-6th
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
I've used all 4 sets of the God's Design books with my kids.

Pros:
- love the Biblical perspective and creationism included
- love the full colour photos
-the info in the lessons is really good and pretty in depth for elementary. My science-loving son reads them for fun.
- it's a good curriculum for making sure science gets done; the reading is fairly short and the activities are doable
- it works well for multiple ages and I would say the age recommendations on the books are accurate; 1st-6th for Life and Earth, 3rd-8th for Chemistry and Physical (however I would only use chem and physical with younger kids if they are tagging along with an older sibling; my younger kids did have some trouble with some of the concepts in those books while my 5th-6th grader really liked them).

Cons:
- many of the experiments are best suited to the younger crowd. Moving graham cracker "tectonic plates" on a bed of peanut butter "magma" is fun but will generally appeal to younger kids. Many of the ones in the older sets are too predictable. My son is doing Physical this year and he nearly always knows what will happen before he even performs the experiment.

Overall we have enjoyed these books and the fact that my kids sometimes read them for fun says a lot about the info in them. Even if we don't use them for science, they are still great for extra research and reading.

walker4140

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 6, 2013
  • Dates used: 2008-2012
I have used all 4 levels with all of my kids. My oldest has moved on to Apologia Jr Hi but my youngest two are still using God's Design. I love this curriculum for two main reasons (in addition to the wonderful Christian approach to teaching science). First and most important for our family is that we can all be studying the same thing at the same time. I tried for one year doing grade specific science for the two oldest and it almost killed me. Being able to do one or two experiments a week that apply to all of the kids was a life-saver. The extra assignments for the older kids we use frequently but every one would slow us down from getting through all 3 books in one year. I am loving going through the books a second time. The older two remember some of the activities but that has been fun for them to show their younger brother the cool science experiments. This time they are getting deeper understanding from it as they build on their previous knowledge. The second reason I love this curriculum is the grouping of the subjects. Why study planets one year and the sun another and the moon another? Logical grouping of topics lets the kids build throughout the year on their learning. They learn deeper concepts and retain it longer. I always recommend this curriculum to my homeschool friends!

Keniki

• Reviewed on Friday, February 10, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I am using God's Design for the Physical World this year with my 7th grade son. This is absolutely our favorite science yet! The lessons are short, interesting, and easy to follow. Many times my son has done the experiments on his own. We read it together because I'm enjoying learning it too, but he could have been doing this on his own in 4th grade. I only wish we had tried it sooner. We are about to finish Physical World, and we are eagerly looking forward to doing the chemistry books next.

Ds says: "AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!"