Gods Design for Science

ErinD

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 25, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-6th
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
I've used all 4 sets of the God's Design books with my kids.

Pros:
- love the Biblical perspective and creationism included
- love the full colour photos
-the info in the lessons is really good and pretty in depth for elementary. My science-loving son reads them for fun.
- it's a good curriculum for making sure science gets done; the reading is fairly short and the activities are doable
- it works well for multiple ages and I would say the age recommendations on the books are accurate; 1st-6th for Life and Earth, 3rd-8th for Chemistry and Physical (however I would only use chem and physical with younger kids if they are tagging along with an older sibling; my younger kids did have some trouble with some of the concepts in those books while my 5th-6th grader really liked them).

Cons:
- many of the experiments are best suited to the younger crowd. Moving graham cracker "tectonic plates" on a bed of peanut butter "magma" is fun but will generally appeal to younger kids. Many of the ones in the older sets are too predictable. My son is doing Physical this year and he nearly always knows what will happen before he even performs the experiment.

Overall we have enjoyed these books and the fact that my kids sometimes read them for fun says a lot about the info in them. Even if we don't use them for science, they are still great for extra research and reading.

walker4140

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 6, 2013
  • Dates used: 2008-2012
I have used all 4 levels with all of my kids. My oldest has moved on to Apologia Jr Hi but my youngest two are still using God's Design. I love this curriculum for two main reasons (in addition to the wonderful Christian approach to teaching science). First and most important for our family is that we can all be studying the same thing at the same time. I tried for one year doing grade specific science for the two oldest and it almost killed me. Being able to do one or two experiments a week that apply to all of the kids was a life-saver. The extra assignments for the older kids we use frequently but every one would slow us down from getting through all 3 books in one year. I am loving going through the books a second time. The older two remember some of the activities but that has been fun for them to show their younger brother the cool science experiments. This time they are getting deeper understanding from it as they build on their previous knowledge. The second reason I love this curriculum is the grouping of the subjects. Why study planets one year and the sun another and the moon another? Logical grouping of topics lets the kids build throughout the year on their learning. They learn deeper concepts and retain it longer. I always recommend this curriculum to my homeschool friends!

Keniki

• Reviewed on Friday, February 10, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I am using God's Design for the Physical World this year with my 7th grade son. This is absolutely our favorite science yet! The lessons are short, interesting, and easy to follow. Many times my son has done the experiments on his own. We read it together because I'm enjoying learning it too, but he could have been doing this on his own in 4th grade. I only wish we had tried it sooner. We are about to finish Physical World, and we are eagerly looking forward to doing the chemistry books next.

Ds says: "AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!"

Michelle08641

• Reviewed on Monday, September 26, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd,6th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Love Love Love these Science books!! The lessons are short and to the point. Which leaves room and time for further investigation on your own if you want. The experiments are short and easy. They typically use common household items and my kids have no problem working them through. Seeing my kids literally jump for joy when the realize that Science will be the next subject of the school day let's me know that I have found the right one! We will continue to use this, Absolutely!