A Reason for Science

tinachan

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 22, 2006
  • Grades Used: level E
  • Dates used: Nov 2006
I love this curriculum! I actually bought it last year but for various reasons didn't start it until this fall. I am using it for a 7 1/2 yr old and an 11 yr old. We read the overview, do the experiment and answer the questions together. Of course the 11yr old does most of the answering but my ds catches on very quickly, adding his own insights. We then look up the subject in a science encyclopedia and go into more detail with any questions the dc have come up with.
I love that nearly everything I need is in the box and clearly listed for me. The clear, easy to do experiments and thought requiring questions are great in themselves but they also inspire my dc to ask more questions and find out more on their own, which is just awesome!
Each level covers four main subject areas:
Life, earth, forces, energy &matter
Most of the supplies except normal household things like pencils, paper etc are included in the kit.
The teachers manual has the answers, extra teaching tips, extension ideas and more. It wouldn't be as good without it because you would miss many oportunities to extend the teaching in the lessons.
I would like to do lower levels with my ds when my dd is older, and doing more independant studies, just to review and make sure he understands the basic concepts we might have skimmed over while doing the older levels with them both.
Over all I think this is a fun, hands on, plus comprehensive curriculum.

Lynn

• Reviewed on Monday, March 6, 2006
  • Grades Used: Not yet but ...
  • Dates used: soon
OK I haven't used this yet but I probably will give it a try. But just to let you all know you can buy the individual books (student and teacher) at CBD.com or Christianbook.com (they are the same. There is even a link here on this web site!!)

So if you don't want the science kit you can save yourself a few bucks. Especially if it's just stuff you can find around the house.

My daughter is always bugging me to do science experiments which I hate but this curriculum (I've seen it in person) make the experiments look easy and they explain everythign very well. I won't use this as a complate curriculum but I am going to try it to satisify my daughters desire to do experiments.

After we've used this a while, I'll write a real review.

sandefelt

• Reviewed on Friday, March 3, 2006
  • Grades Used: 3rd (a.k.a. Level C)
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
The first reviewer stated everything pretty well. I ditto her comments. I was pretty disappointed when I received the kit in the mail. I felt that the price was much too high for what you received. Many of the items in the kit can be found at local stores and around the house for much less cost. The good thing was that it did save me the time from having to go find the things needed for the experiments.

I also felt that it didn't cover thoroughly enough the concepts behind the experiments. While the questions at the end were good, I think there could have been more structure developed around the scientific method.

Although my children have enjoyed the experiments, I don't feel that they have a greater understanding of science. I will be doing things differently next year. Overall I would say this is great for experiment ideas, not for an entire science curriculum. If you are really interested in this, buy the book and gather your own supplies.

Laura Hogan

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 16, 2004
  • Dates used:
I really like A Reason for Writing and A Reason for Spelling curricula, so I completely expected to like Concerned Curriculum's new science program-- A Reason for Science-- and enthusiastically ordered the 4th grade level for my family. But, I was dissapointed instead and returned it to the publisher without using it.

The good things-- like their spelling and handwriting programs, the student workbook is brightly illustrated and very engaging. There is a different lesson for each week (36 lessons total), and each lesson can be removed from the book for easier use. Each lesson involves 6 sections-- What to do (a fun experiment or activity with clear, easy-to-follow directions); What Happened? (a couple of paragraphs explaining the scientific principle demonstrated in the experiment); What We Learned (5 questions for the student to answer about the results of the experiment); Conclusion (another paragraph summarizing the concept learned); Food for Thought (a scripture reference and short discussion on the spiritual implications of the concept learned); Journal (a place to write notes during the experiment/activity). It sounds great, doesn't it? I thought it would be!

The bad things--

First, you have to order an entire homeschool kit-- student workbook, teacher book, and materials kit (price is about $70). They won't let you just order the student text.

Second, for that price, I would expect a complete science program, but it's really just a supplemental program. The course does engage the students, but most science prgrams have the students learn a lot more material than is presented in these 36 lessons. I would say only about 1/4 of the material usually learned in a 4th grade science prgram are covered. If you want to judge that yourself, then email me and I'll send you a list of the 36 lessons.