Reading Made Easy

gotgzus

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 12, 2011
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I was very excited about this book. I feel like reading is such a huge responsibility and one of the most important things you can teach your children to do. We got into it and worked hard but every day was a struggle and A LOT of nagging/fighting to get it done. It just wasn't fun. I did try to make it more fun and easier to use by typing out the lessons so the print was bigger and easier to follow along with. I also created my own review lessons, and scanned and printed the pictures for my daughter to color. These were all helpful and she did learn to read the "code" that the book uses to decode the words and likes when I write things with the "code" for her to read, but it hasn't helped her to go very far beyond the "codes" and read other things on her own. We've made it through lesson 80 our of 108 and I don't think we will probably finish the book. I may have started her too soon and while the book did teach her to read I don't feel it taught her to read independently or confidently.

hahamama

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 31, 2008
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2007 - 2008
My daughter did not like this at all. Every day was a STRUGGLE! She was very bored and would become frustrated during each lesson. I REALLY liked the idea of this book and I was excited about teaching her with it. It just was not for her. I tried to supplement with worksheets (because she LOVES worksheets) and computer phonics games online but it still did not click for her. I followed the authors instructions to a t and I wanted it so badly to work but unfortunately it didn't. This year I am looking into some other phonics programs hoping that she is not too far behind.

inHistiming

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 23, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I used Reading Made Easy with my daughter when she was in the first grade. We discovered she had some vision problems towards the end of her K year in a private school; it turned out that she needed glasses. She really was not reading; she didn't recognize all of her letters or all of the sounds, even though she had attended a year of Pre-K and K. So, we decided to homeschool her. Reading Made Easy was the choice we made for Phonics instruction, to go along with Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, from Heart of Dakota, www.heartofdakota.com. The program is designed to make reading "easy" by designating specific shades of gray, black, solid, or dotted letters to specify the sound each letter makes. This was a HUGE help to my daughter! We also created a Word Worm for the wall with each sight word that was introduced, reviewing daily. My daughter very quickly improved in her reading. She was soon able to read short sentences, and by the end of the program, was enjoying the longer passages she was assigned to read each day. My daughter went from a non-reader who would cry when expected to read even a couple of sentences, to a confident reader who loves to read and now listen to books being read. Before Reading Made Easy, she had never been very interested in reading for herself or in being read to. I am so happy we used Reading Made Easy, and I'm looking forward to beginning with my 4-year old son very soon!

Steph

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 15, 2006
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2003, 2005
We LOVE it! We tried 100 Easy Lessons with my son, but that resulted in tears every day. Not sure why, because Reading Made Easy is very similar, but maybe just more user friendly and it doesn't use the symbols. We especially like the "go get a book and I will read to you" at the end of each lesson. The index card work was a good hands-on tool, so that was beneficial, especially since one of my children had a speech problem, it gave him confidence to show what he knew when the sounds weren't coming out right. We never did the copywork stuff though. That would have been a frustration.

The scripted teacher portion was helpful, but as we moved through it we didn't need it as much and could still move through the lessons with ease.

We never got past lesson 75 with either child, as they were then reading just about anything they could find off the shelf. My kids are both reading at least 2 grades over their grade level, and they have great reading confidence. We recommend it highly!