Dick & Jane Books

Vanell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
  • Grades Used: For a down syndrome child
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I grew up with the Dick and Jane books and grew to love reading because of them. I have a WONDERFUL boy who was blessed with down syndrome and reading was both hard and frustrating and I found some D@J readers at Wal-Mart and anxiously grabbed them up, got home and opened for my son and read the first story to him. We worked for a few minutes on the vocabulary words and I asked him to read it with me and then to read it alone. He read with no help. The story was short and sentences were too. He was so proud of himself he had to read to everyone. Now he is reading the longer stories and enjoys them also. I knew he could read, I just had to find a way to build his own confidence and the Dick and Jane Readers were the answer.

JBCorny

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 10, 2008
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2008
There is something to say about the classics. For one dollar at a garage sale my husband picked up what I call "a book of confidence" which my son continues to read daily, in spite of the fact that he now reads well beyond its content. This boy, who not long ago refused to try to read anything, dove into this huge hardcover collection as if it was what he had been waiting for. I remember learning to read using the same stories but never figured it would still be among the most effective readers out there. I believe what so many homeschool parents and others have said which is that when a child is ready to read, he will - just be ready with a good book.

kalphs

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 3, 2007
  • Grades Used: K-1st Grade
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I purchased several different sets of Dick and Jane/Tom and Betty books from Ebay, CBD and Walmart ranging from the 1930's to the 1960's. Our child has enjoyed learning to read using these readers. One thing I have noticed is the readers from the 1930's and 1950's have more meat for reading content than those of the 1960's which appear to have been "dumbed down" from the original content. Ginn Readers are a great basal reader to use for your homeschool along with Dr. Seuss books.

bsm123

• Reviewed on Friday, June 22, 2007
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2007
My son loves these books! He started blending and decoding last fall, around the time he turned four, and wants to read every word in sight. We checked out Bob books from the library, and I think these were helpful to get him to see he could read a book, but he didn't really enjoy the pictures or the stories. I bought the two Dick and Jane reprints used off Amazon, spent about $11 total, and they have been a big hit.

No, I guess they don't teach phonics. But we're doing phonics in Explode the Code books, and by the time we picked up Dick and Jane, my son had already learned how to read phonetically a lot of the "sight" works in the book, so it wasn't an issue. Then there have been a lot of sight words he has picked up from the book--Mother, Father, Something, Who--

He absolutely loves the pictures in these books. It's fun on each page for him to read the simple paragraph, then look up in the picture to see the funny things happening. I had just thought the other day that we need to work on narration, and I think that these pictures will be a good jumping off point---have him tell me what is happening in the picture, what he thinks will happen next, etc. They are very charming pictures.

I've been checking out easy readers from the library, but it's hard to get him to read them to me. But he pulls Dick and Jane off the shelf every few weeks and loves to read me 3 or 4 stories at a stretch.

I think it would be a lot of work to use this as the core of your teaching reading program, but I do recommend it as a great addition to your program. I have seen improvement in my son's reading that I can definitely attribute to these books.