Happy Phonics

5skoold

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 14, 2016
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten 1st grade
  • Dates used: 2016
We are currently using happy phonics. My 4 and 6 year old love it. Every morning they beg me before we do anything else to "play" phonics. We use ETC books with it. The kids are picking up everything quickly and even my 7 yr old (she's a good reader) enjoys the games and "teaching" phonics with me. The Happy phonics program comes with a home manual that tells you step by step which game you need to use and also other helpful ideas and fun things you could do. I love that it's hands on, i usually spend at least 25-30 minutes a day on the program. my kids don't want to put it up and would play the games all day If they could.I love it and highly recommend it for anyone who has a hands on learner. If you tried to assemble all the games at once it would take like no joke probably hours. I just assemble the ones I need now and when my kids master the games and ideas from the step we're on we move on. For instance my son successfully completed step 2 (learning letters then learning how to match capitol letters to the lowercase letter) when i felt like i could write any lowercase and he could write their uppercase to match then i decided to move him on to step 3 (each letter has a sound) which we're currently working on. I feel like this is a complete phonics kit but it could be used as a supplement if someone preferred workbook based stuff and the games as a reinforcement type.

ladidadida

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 7, 2010
  • Grades Used: K, 2
  • Dates used: 2010
I'm currently using Happy Phonics with my 2nd grader (already a good reader, HP is review) and K'er (a "natural" reader who is learning fast). I was concerned because my younger child is a "sight reader" and I didn't want her to miss out on learning phonics because she was so busy memorizing words.

Happy Phonics has been the perfect fit for us. It's a flexible, fun and hands-on approach to learning phonics. I love that it's not scripted so we can skip around and spend time on what my child still needs to learn.

The only downside is the hours it took me to cut out and assemble the games. But now that all that is done, it's been wonderful.

I can't recommend this program highly enough! It definitely stands on it's own as a complete phonics program, but it would also work brilliantly as a supplement to a more traditional approach (e.g. Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading).

starlightannie

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 2, 2008
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: Summer 2008
We used Happy Phonics this summer. My intention was to "review" what we learned from using Saxon Phonics K during the school year. What I found was that my boys (ages 5 and 6) didn't remember hardly anything from Saxon and we started basically from scratch. I was amazed at how their confidence in reading aloud grew from reading the Happy Phonics readers. They of course loved the games and played them on their own for "fun" after we had gone over them as a lesson. We finished up a couple of days ago, and they begged me not to put it in storage, because they wanted to start using Happy Phonics all over again. I'm definitely skipping right to Happy Phonics when it's time to teach my youngest to read.

polarbearla

• Reviewed on Monday, July 9, 2007
  • Grades Used: Pre-k, K
  • Dates used: 2006- present
I think this program is wonderful and I think it's fine to use all by itself. It does not have a daily schedule. There is a booklet that comes with this program and it shows an overview of 8 steps. Than the following pages of the booklet tell you what games go with each step. Once you feel your child has completed the step and you think they have a good understanding of what the games were teaching you move onto the next step.

She recommends using Explode the Code workbooks with this program and we use those. I consider Explode the Code to be the supplement and not Happy Phonics.

The cards and games can be some work putting together and when you first get the package you may feel overwhelmed. However, I only put together the games as I need them. I didn't sit down and put everything together at once!

I have used Alphaphonics and 100 Easy and though I think they are good programs they were also boring and it's been more fun and enjoyable to teach reading this time with Happy Phonics.