Ecce Romani

Shannon in SC

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 18, 2000
  • Grades Used: 5 - 9th
  • Dates used: 2000
We like the Ecce Romani books. The newer editions are the best. Their are 4 books in the series. We have used I and II. You can do I in a year or I and II in a year if you do Latin daily. The materials consist of a textbook, workbook, teachers manual, and workbook teacher's key. I think you can also get a book with chapter tests. We have all of it and I find it all worth the $. The text is basically an ongoing story in Latin about an upper class Roman family. A lot of information about Roman daily life is therefore integrated into the curriculum. Each chapter has a very small portion of the story to read, followed by vocabulary and exercises relating to the chapter. Grammer is slowly integrated into the exercises. The workbook gives further practice with the vocabulary, translation, and grammer. There are a lot of resources on the web for Ecce Romani as it is used to teach on-line Latin courses in a couple of places I have found. One is the About.com Latin Forum. Ecce can be purchased from amazon.com, barnes & noble, or Rainbow Resource Homeschool Catalog.