Crossroads Christian School

Rosebud W

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 12, 2012
  • Dates used: 1999-2012
I've been with Crossroads for a long time. Here are my thoughts:

Pros

They are friendly and professional. All my questions have been answered. I've had no problems with my children receiving credits for the work that they have completed. The transcript is comprehensive and has been accepted by all the colleges in which my children have applied. There's never been a problem. My children have even received scholarships which were handled by Crossroads.

Cons

I have talked to them via the phone many times through the years. Sometimes it is a challenge to get through. If I can't get through immediately I email, and I always get a helpful response back. Nowadays I prefer to email because I like having the responses in written form as they are easier for me to remember.

Overall

Several of my children are Crossroads' graduates. They are either currently in college or have graduated college, with scholarships, thanks to Crossroads. I will use them until the youngest graduates. I highly recommend them.

4 Wheelin Momma

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 16, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th-8th grade
  • Dates used: stop using them Spring 2011
NEGATIVE:

I requested a copy of my son's transcript (after I sent in 8th grade work) and they refused to provide me with a copy.
I was politely told they DID NOT provide parents with copies of transcripts, only other colleges or schools when requested.
What a HUGE disappointment. I had used them since 4th grade and now I can't get a parent copy of his transcript....grrrrr!

I was NEVER (in 4 yrs) able to speak to a person over the phone. I would start calling as soon as they opened and the entire day the line was busy. I would push redial on my phone consistantly throughtout the day and it was ALWAYS busy. I find it hard to believe that in 4 yrs of calling, I was never able to get thru a working number. It made me think the phone must have been off the hook. There were times I even emailed my phone number, but I never got a call back, only an email response.

They would not allow certain credits for highschool.
For example: they would not give a seperate credit for Etymology (only count it w/ Lang Arts). There were several highschool elective courses we wanted to take, but they would only allow 1/2 credit, while the publisher suggested it's worth 1 full credit OR they didn't allow any credit. *Each umbrella school has it's own credit/rule. If your enrolling for highschool, make sure you ask about each course/credit BEFORE you enroll, regardless of which umbrella school you choice*

POSTIVE:

Quick to get his report card sent back

Always got an email response in a quick and timely manner

Reporting was easy, never had a problem with it

WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM:

No.... beacuse they would not provide me w/ a transcript.
I feel this is very important and the main reason why I enrolled w/ them. To be clear, they will send a transcript
to another school or college when requested, just not the parent.

I will use a different umbrella school for 9th-12th.

Judy

teamnelson

• Reviewed on Monday, March 15, 2010
  • Dates used: 2005-2010
I began using Crossroads for a "just in case I need it" option when my daughter began high school courses in 8th grade. Now, 5 years later, I am happy to say that my daughter was accepted at the US Coast Guard Academy and will begin in June! Obviously, I have been happy with Crossroads, and can testify to the fact that they have gone the extra mile for me many times, especially during the college application process. They are great to work with, whether you have a question, a suggestion about your child's courses, or are just wanting advise regarding a certain curriculum. I have NEVER talked to anyone at Crossroads on the phone-- Never even tried to call, since email conversations have worked so well. Do I think having official transcripts from Crossroads helped my daughter get into the academy? I don't know. However, I am thankful I did not have to deal with the "what ifs" , if I had done the process without the reassurance of this umbrella school. I highly recommend Crossroads. They are very inexpensive and even if you are like me, and are using them for that "Just in case" scenario, the peace of mind is very worth the money.

Cindy in MA

• Reviewed on Monday, July 17, 2006
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
After using Alpha Omega Academy for my son in Grade 9, Crossroads was a breath of fresh air.

Like with any long distance school there are always pros and cons.

The pros of CCS: Because this is only an umbrella school, you can choose any curriculum you would like. You can even design your own. All of their forms are located on their website for printing. All you need to do is fill out a curriculum list, your choice of reporting method(twice a year or once a year, and you as the parent do all of the grading, a big plus for me), registration fee, copy of birth certificate and physical. They are really good about emailing you back if you have any questions. You get a report card every year and than will receive an accredited diploma.

Cons: You need to either send in copies of their logs/journals/portfolios and some samples of their work, or choose Standardized testing in lieu of logs/journals/portfolios. We chose to test even though we do not like to because it is easier for us rather than keep all of these logs and schedules. It is very difficult to reach them by phone. They also do not give credit for certain curriculum like the publisher suggests that can be awarded, which bothered me.

All in all though, we are staying with CCS until my son graduates.

Cindy