Pioneers and Patriots

MirandaL_99

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 2, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd to 4th
  • Dates used: 2009-present
We are using this with my fathers world. Although I purchased the curriculum package from them a little younger than I should've and my kids are pretty bored and I have to add a lot to make it interesting, they LOVE this book. Like another poster said her kids beg for more. That's how my kids are. If it were up to them we'd have read the entire thing day one! Even though my teachers manual says not to do the review questions we do anyway! I think it kind of helps them to remember things. But we just do it orally. The stories are fun yet very informative. I like reading it just to find out what happens next. I highly recommend this book!!

bkeefe98

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 16, 2009
  • Grades Used: K & 3rd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We have used this book along with the My Father's World. My kids and I have enjoyed it very much. My kids also says "Keep reading!" The stories are educational and entertaining. I very highly recommend it.

laforcewithu

• Reviewed on Friday, July 18, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2006
I really liked this book! It was very interesting to read, and presented history in an entertaining fashion. I really don't believe it's necessary to cram dates and such in children's history. I wanted my son to get a general understanding of how America came to be a nation. I wish American History was this interesting when I was a little girl! This book was a pleasure to read. The tests are a little tough and the study questions at the end of each chapter really are not easily guessed. But, that is good. Definitely worth looking into.

mrsfrazzle

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 4, 2007
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd, and 4th
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
At the start of the school year, I used a different history program. I had bought this CLP book just for an interesting read aloud. After a couple of months and intense bordom with history, I decided they needed a break, so out came American Pioneers and Patriots. What a change! They begged for more. I actually used it as incentive for them to get other things done! Basically, each unit has three short chapters following fictional children pioneers from a specific country. Then there is a page telling and demonstrating how something was made back then - such as soap or butter. Finally, there is a page with about 6 questions or so. Most of these questions are not just recall, but require the child to determine the "why". There is also a list of activities and crafts to do on this page. The stories were very good by making us feel like we were there and knew how they felt. Some would not consider this a very "deep" program, but it's just right for stimulating an interest in a facinating time period. I'm not selling this book even though we've finished.