History for Little Pilgrims

akamomma3

• Reviewed on Friday, February 25, 2011
  • Grades Used: Pre-K & K
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
We got this in August of 2010 with our curricula kit for Kindergarten. I would have to say this is a great little history book for young children. My dd6 loves it and stays very in tune with the stories. She seems to retain a lot from it too. My ds newly 4 also reads this with us and loves to hear what is going on, he even asks questions about the stories. I would have to say that my favorite part of this book is that fact that like another reviewer stated it starts history with CREATION! I love that fact! We recently read about Martin Luther and loved that story! I say if you have a pre-k or K student its very much worth getting...Highly Recommend!

jenb

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 6, 2011
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We really enjoyed this chapter book history book. It gives enough detail to keep interest, but does not bog a K student down in too many details. My son sometimes flips through it on his own to look at the pictures. It is short, and we used it in conjunction with History Stories for Children by Wayland and the Bible.

hsmomto4boys

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 21, 2010
  • Grades Used: k-1
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
This book easily held my young children's attention and was a lot of fun for me, too. It starts from the beginning of creation to present day, which I think is very useful in helping little ones understand what history is. It is most definitely from a Christian world view with how it is worded, but also on some of the events included that aren't usually covered in history books. We read one chapter each Monday and verbally answered the few questions following each chapter. I was disappointed when I realized how close to the end we were getting, because we were really enjoying it. So, I went ahead and ordered a US history book from the same publisher and author, which I believe is called "Our Nation Under God".

Pretty~In~Pink

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 20, 2008
  • Grades Used: Pre-K - 1st
  • Dates used: 2008
We have actually only been using this text for 4 weeks, but I'm finding that my daughters love it. They are EXCITED about Thursdays (the day we study this text) more than any other day of the week. We are all a family that loves to learn about history. I find the chapters to be just right for covering with this age group. My oldest can read the book by herself, but most often they want me to read it to them while they color in their books. They are retaining everything I read and answering the review questions perfectly. We supplement with the Bible (to fill in a few holes) and love looking for the places mentioned on our globe. I'm aware that this book is short and will only take us through the first semester of school, but I've already prepared back up for the spring semester. I think this is giving the girls a good overview of history that is age-appropriate and begins with the true beginning of history - CREATION! We are enjoying it!