A Child's History of the World

Pretty-In-Pink

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 4, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd-4th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We are more than halfway through this resource right now and I give it a thumbs up! I honestly didn't think I would like it, but the short chapters give great information that we are able to tie in to other areas we're studying. For example, we read about how the Romans had developed roads in this book during the Roman empire. Then we read in another book about how the Jews didn't like Roman rule but how it was a blessing because it created easier ways for the disciples to "go and make disciples" after Jesus came. We're able to tie so much of what we are learning in with what we know of Biblical history. My girls are retaining information like crazy and they look forward to the lessons. I often print out activity sheets from the internet to go with the topic of the day. It's been a great resource!

callmecordelia2

• Reviewed on Monday, March 29, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 3rd
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
This is my 2nd and 3rd graders' FAVORITE book. It is written in such an engaging and conversational style. I feel sad for reviewers who say their kids "did not get what the point was", because with minimal parental effort, this largely-unillustrated book coulod be transformed into something fascinating with all the images, etc. available on the internet. This book makes history come alive for my kids, ages 6 and 8. They can even pronounce the Greek names, they remember from one week to the next what we read about, they rush to the library to borrow supplementary books based on their love of this book...I highly recommend this book. It is history written for kids, as if your old uncle was sitting with your child telling him or her some oral history and making it come alive.

hsfaithy

• Reviewed on Friday, November 13, 2009
  • Grades Used: 4th, 5th and 6th
  • Dates used: 2007-current
I like this book. One must carefully considering the first chapter before reading it to his/her child, however, overall this is a good resource. The author is clever, and writes in such a way as to hold the reader or listener's attention.

ladibechtel

• Reviewed on Friday, March 27, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2007-2009
I am a Christian and absolutely LOVE this resource. I got it through Sonlight, and was not scheduled to read the first one or two chapters. I was curious as to why, and when I reviewed it, realized why. The book does begin with the big bang theory. But we didn't read that chapter with the kids. That aside, it is a wonderful book- those theories are not threaded throughout the entire book. The history is given as if the author were sitting with the child, talking with him about it. It's a joy to read.