A Child's History of the World

MayberryMommy

• Reviewed on Monday, March 6, 2017
  • Dates used: 2008-present
This book is on a lot of reading list and for good reason.

Skip the first couple chapters and you have a delightful whirlwind history of the world.

We have the book, but of late we have gotten our money's worth out of the audible book.

I tend you like it for slightly older children. 1-2 grade is a little young to really get a lot out of it, but isn't impossible.

Pretty-In-Pink

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 4, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd-4th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We are more than halfway through this resource right now and I give it a thumbs up! I honestly didn't think I would like it, but the short chapters give great information that we are able to tie in to other areas we're studying. For example, we read about how the Romans had developed roads in this book during the Roman empire. Then we read in another book about how the Jews didn't like Roman rule but how it was a blessing because it created easier ways for the disciples to "go and make disciples" after Jesus came. We're able to tie so much of what we are learning in with what we know of Biblical history. My girls are retaining information like crazy and they look forward to the lessons. I often print out activity sheets from the internet to go with the topic of the day. It's been a great resource!

callmecordelia2

• Reviewed on Monday, March 29, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 3rd
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
This is my 2nd and 3rd graders' FAVORITE book. It is written in such an engaging and conversational style. I feel sad for reviewers who say their kids "did not get what the point was", because with minimal parental effort, this largely-unillustrated book coulod be transformed into something fascinating with all the images, etc. available on the internet. This book makes history come alive for my kids, ages 6 and 8. They can even pronounce the Greek names, they remember from one week to the next what we read about, they rush to the library to borrow supplementary books based on their love of this book...I highly recommend this book. It is history written for kids, as if your old uncle was sitting with your child telling him or her some oral history and making it come alive.

hsfaithy

• Reviewed on Friday, November 13, 2009
  • Grades Used: 4th, 5th and 6th
  • Dates used: 2007-current
I like this book. One must carefully considering the first chapter before reading it to his/her child, however, overall this is a good resource. The author is clever, and writes in such a way as to hold the reader or listener's attention.