K12

i1vy

• Reviewed on Monday, January 2, 2017
  • Grades Used: 6th,8th
  • Dates used: 2016
I used k12 to homeschool my daughter a few years ago for 3d grade. I really liked it, and she learned alot. This time around was quite frustrating. We started a little late, and some of the teachers skipped lessons ahead so my girls could be on track with the rest of the class, and some didn't. So, the classes that weren't skipped forward always showed "f"'s for grades. Which led to a million emails and phone calls from teachers, and then eventually my daughter was required to be in 3 hours worth of class connects a day(usually right in a row). The math class usually consisted of 100 kids, and my daughter didn't seem to learn anything while in the sessions.(It is really difficult for an 11 year old to sit in front of a computer for all those hours a day, and we can all be realistic and know that 1 teacher cannot teach a lesson and work individually in class of 100 students within an hour time frame.) So after all of her class connects were done, we would have to spend another hour actually figuring out her math lesson and finishing everything else. Science and history should not be taught every single day. Alternating them every other day, and then just catching up on Fridays would be so much better. Lastly, the language arts program is insane. There are so many different books and lessons to keep up with. They are expected to read several chapters a day sometimes, and then there are also more language arts assignments in study island to keep up with. It was all just too much!!

Katrinahstn78

• Reviewed on Monday, October 17, 2016
  • Dates used: Current 2016
Ok, today was my daughters first day as a homeschooler through K12 and holy crap i am so overwhelmed that my stomach hurts and i feel like my brain is about to pop out of my skull!! It took us 8 hrs to not even complete an entire day (and again, this was her FIRST DAY). I am by no means a teacher, and i'm wondering where the actual homeschools are that the student actually gets taught by an actual teacher and not a parent?! I took homeschool in high school (many years ago) and every day i would get my text books together, pop a vhs tape in, push play and did my lessons taught by a teacher. If i had questions, i could either call or email. My mom was a single mom who worked full time and never had to worry about sitting there with me for HOURS homeschooling me. My daughter's first day and i'm already unhappy with K12

Goodsons

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 20, 2016
  • Grades Used: K-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-Current
I'll start off on a positive note. K12-OHVA "used" to be a nice homeschool. They have a great curriculum so far. I've been a "learning coach" for 4 years now. My kids have went from K-3rd grade. I really, really hate to leave OHVA.

Howeverrrrrr.......

This year (3rd Grade) is a huge testing year. I held my son back to repeat 2nd grade last year because I knew he wasn't ready for all the testing yet. He's on the Autism Spectrum and has an IEP. My two daughters are well above average on all testing so I thought it would be a good idea to bring my son back to repeat 2nd with my oldest daughter. It was a plan anyway. He did do much better the 2nd go-round but then again, he'd already had everything once and you just can't repeat every grade.

So, we made it through 2nd grade (and 1st Grade for my youngest daughter). Now we're into the dreaded 3rd grade. State Mandated this and State Mandated that. yadda yadda yadda. Keep in mind that the entire reason we pulled them out of Brick & Mortar and even Christian School was the fact that my oldest son is on the Spectrum and has a terrible time in large class environments....so I've stopped working and giving him a lot of one-on-one attention by "homeschooling."

This is not homeschooling. This is a state regulated public school and you/I are here as guides. That's still fine....up to this point. But since my oldest didn't test well enough on MAP (naturally), they have labeled him as "Synchronous" (whatever the hell that means) and now he's required to be in 3 hours of Class Connect sessions with 1 teacher and 50 other kids online. FIFTY. He's a 3rd grader on the spectrum and they think teaching him by some sort of powerpoint lesson is the way to go?

Aside from the fact that we pulled him out of B&M because 20-30 students was too much, his IEP (that K12 themselves assembled) also says that he needs to be taught in a one-on-one environment which is ME. I'm here. Happy to do it. But they have essentially pulled him away from me and stuck him in an online classroom with 50 other kids for 3 hours a day. Headphones on and in la-la land. He gets absolutely nothing out of it.

Then, I'm left to re-teach everything he should have learned but with three hours less time gone out of the day. We don't get done until 6-8pm. Then we work with him some more at bedtime. Homeschooling shouldn't be this way. Schooling in general shouldn't be this way. Not only can I not keep that pace, but I've got another 3rd grader who's well-above average that I can't find what to do with for 3 hours while my boy is in his goofy Class Connect sessions. She's being punished too.

My options are to pull them all out and find a curriculum. Or, since I do like the OHVA curriculum up to this point, I might also try just pulling Will out which would get rid of this synchronous class-connect state-mandated disaster.....and just go back to teaching him and my daughter under her curriculum and just printing out tests/worksheets for him on the side. We'd have to start paying for his Speech & Occupational therapies out of pocket but at this point it would be well worth it.

Sorry for the rant. Just my 2-cents.

KCinKC

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
We transferred our special needs son to KSVA Kansas State Virtual Academy mid year. His brick and mortar school was passing him through and we were very worried about him falling behind. When we entered the school they performed a Scantron test that did assess areas of weakness in Math and Reading only. Nothing was done to assess weakness in writing, science, or history. The test did give valuable data and we were able to use it to develop his iep. This year the school has done away with the Scantron testing. There is no way to identify weakness in 4th or 5th graders. Diebel assessments in 4th and 5th grade is only done on the teacher discretion. The turnover at the school is quick. The curriculum is not accessible to anyone with a dyslexia diagnosis or a print disability. The teachers are supposed to provide a guide so that the parent can collect data in areas a child is struggling. They never do this. They do not use any proven interventions in their one on one sessions. I find it so interesting that the government is finally looking into these schools. http://www2.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/memosdcltrs/dcl--virtual-schools--08-05-2016.pdf
12345678910...