Instructional Fair / TS Denison

LuvIt

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 21, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th-5th
  • Dates used: 2011
"Home Education Curriculum" published by Instructional Fair seems to be out-of-print but used copies are available. We found the 4th and 5th grade levels at our public library and loved them so much I'm buying a copy.

These books present a full year's curriculum in one book. There are lesson plan calendars with about 36 weeks of lesson plans in the beginning of the book. There are lists of activities to sprinkle throughout the book, project and field trip ideas. There are pages with further information on some of the lessons and a number of worksheets for the child to use. The lesson plans include lessons in math, science, reading (supplemental books will be needed but should be available through the library), spelling, social studies, grammar and writing, and a few art lessons are sprinkled in here and there.

You'll likely want to supplement their math with a math textbook, but the other subjects seem well-covered. Program isn't heavily into busy work, so there aren't tons of assignments, but the kids will learn plenty and if supplemented with field trips and fun activities, it makes a great program at a low cost.

The lesson plans and materials should be an easy way to keep any required records for your state--just put dates in their calendar and you've got a great log, with titles of reading materials listed and samples of work are easily handled with some of the written work of the student.

Melissa Little

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2005
  • Grades Used: 4th grade next year
  • Dates used: next school year.
This curriculum the previous poster mentioned is called Home Education Curriculum by Jean Wolff. I've checked it out for my son for next year and I must say I am impressed at how complete it seem with just library books and an occasional video thrown in.

Brande

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 9, 2002
  • Grades Used: k-6
  • Dates used:
This curriculum is published by a division of mc-graw hill. I absolutely love it. There are lesson plans laid out with a separate section for background and teaching ideas. It also has all the worksheets. All this in one handy book. And it only costs $44.95 for each grade!!!! There's math, reading (which uses really great everyday kids books), grammar, spelling, science, social studies, and art (and even separate test books available). So great, I've bought all 7 available. Very thorough (I almost think some assignments could take twice as long as they alot) and seems to keep the kids ahead of most other packages I've seen (math for example has them ready for Saxon pre-algebra after 6th grade). I can't say enough good things. The perfect mix of books work (most of which is done using real books) and hands on projects. Perfect for our family...definitely worth a look.