Positive Action Bible Curriculum

Rae

• Reviewed on Friday, March 4, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010 - 2011
I was so excited about this curriculum when I found it at a homeschool conference. I just knew my daughter would love the bright, cheerful pictures, fun puzzles and cute characters.

How wrong I was.

I don't know if it's the curriculum or just my daughter's workbook preference (she chooses Easy Grammar over a similar curriculum with colorful pictures) but whatever the reason, this is just not working well for us. It's very sad.

My daughter is easily frustrated while working in this workbook. She likes looking up the Bible verses and reading them, but has a difficult time finding the correct answers (or the ones the author of the workbook is looking for) to the questions. Bible is not a fun subject for her, which is the exact opposite of what I'd hoped for. She doesn't even enjoy doing the puzzles that are in the book.

Overall, I like the truth that's throughout the lessons, and the fact that there are lots of positive messages in each lesson. I also like that my daughter has learned a lot of Bible stories, but I want this to be fun for her, so we won't be using this again.

Carolyn Harrison

• Reviewed on Monday, September 20, 2010
  • Grades Used: 7th-8th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
"Route 66" is billed as a user-friendly curriculum, but we have found it to be frustrating. From the first lesson, the child is to deduce a concept such as "redemption" from several verses where the term is not mentioned. Also is billed as a "survey" course, but skips well-known Biblical stories (such as Cain and Abel) as early as Lesson 3.

Pros: Drives student to the Bible for answers. Nicely illustrated. Evidently a great deal of work went into summarizing the greatest book of all time (but this course needs quite a bit of revision).

Cons: Teacher Manual is necessary, but sketchy at best. At least contains student answers; Student Workbook pages in TM are supposed to be copies of Student Workbook but aren't. Sometimes references for student look-up are inaccurate.

Expensive (~$50 for 2 student texts and TM on CD) for lack of depth in TM and lack of explanation for students. Customer Service is nice but noncommittal ("Just keep at it!").

The reason I looked for this is that our church's LifeWay curriculum doesn't quite cut it -- there's a dearth of Bible basics, just focuses on application (which is great, but not the starting point.) We've tried Alpha-Omega in the past, but kids were tired of worktexts. At least those curricula were straightforward (we skipped the "busy work"). AOP and A Beka do not offer a Bible survey course until 10th grade, but I'm thinking I should have tried one of those instead, even for middle schoolers.

Not recommended for those who are new to Scripture or who have a cursory overview of popular Bible stories. Helpful if you have more than a rudimentary Bible knowledge yourself. Recommend that you look elsewhere.

bejoyful65

• Reviewed on Monday, August 3, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2009
We began using Positive Action this summer as my daughter started 1st grade. We enjoy it very much! It is very thorough and covers a lot of material without being overwhelming. Bible is the one thing we do each day so we follow the 5 day curriculum. But there is also an outline for a 3 or 4 day week so it can be easily tailored to fit your life. My daughter looks forward to doing it. The workbook is cute and fun for her. I highly recommend this curriculum!

eph611

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 20, 2008
  • Grades Used: 6th-12th
  • Dates used: 2007 to present
Positive Action is a real character building, life application style of Bible curriculum. After trying several different kinds of Bible over the last 13 years of homeschooling, I have finally found one that we all love! This curriculum has the child digging right into God's Word, and applying Biblical wisdom to their own lives, not just memorizing stories, etc. There is a lot of flexibility with the program, using a 3,4, or 5 day week. It has a nice verse memorization schedule as well. This has turned into a time of bonding and growing that we have been searching for. The overall theme is to magnify God's Glory. We especially enjoy the Route 66 (middle school), which is an Old Testament, New Testament Survey of the 66 books of the Bible, and Wise Up Wisdom from Proverbs. This is NOT a fluffy, workbook based curriculum. For jr./sr. high, we have done the studies together as a family - working on our own in the workbooks, then coming together once a week and Dad teaching the teacher's lesson. This has been a great time of spiritual growth for us together. I would highly recommend getting the teacher's manual, not just using the student manual, and also they have the TM on CD, and you can just print out the quizzes and answers from your computer as you need them - nice! If you just want a fill in the blank workbook, this is not for you. This is for serious students of the Word!