Bible Study Guide For All Ages

bestmomever

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 19, 2012
  • Grades Used: pre-k-4th
  • Dates used: 2012
We love this Bible study! We have 2 beginners, one primary and one intermediate. I was looking for something we could use with the KJV and this works. The verses on the pages are NIV, but you can read out of your personal Bible and it works great. All the kids love the different activites on the pages, it's not just a boring fill-in-the blank worksheet. We have the wall maps and timelines, so they can look at it whenever they want. Between those and all the review questions we are all learning a lot. Even my 3yr. old is answering the questions. We do one lesson over a 4-day school week. First day is review/ talk about the application that we're looking for/read the chapter in the Bible. Second day is the activity page, with kids taking turns reading out of Bible. Third day is review, map and timeline info. Fourth day is drawing a picture of what the lesson was and copying a verse to go with it. They will have a nice Bible notebook to look back at! I also like that as the kids get older, they can go to the next level of workbook. It's a little pricy to get started, but the maps & timelines are a one-time purchase, as is any teacher's guides. My ONLY complaint is that the workbooks came just stapled at the side and the back page came off of one book the first day. I took them to Office Depot and for $10 had them spiral bound. I have been recommending this to other homeschoolers! We love it!

livingthedream

• Reviewed on Friday, June 11, 2010
  • Grades Used: pre-k - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2010
My kids chant "Bible-Bible"! They love this! We are really learning the Bible. It's fun for them, but not superficial. The "apply it" section is wonderful. I love hearing my kids pray about what is on their hearts. Personally, I would get bored with the same kind of activities all the time, but they don't. So, we will stick with this for as long as they are loving it. Even if it's only two years, we will cover a lot of the Bible; both old and new testaments. This is a fun, do-able, thorough Bible curriculum and I recommend it.

Reenie

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 16, 2006
  • Grades Used: K-12th
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
We used this curriculum over 10 yrs. ago when we first began home educating and worked through the 3 volumes. Then we thought we'd try something else for a change of pace. Nothing we tried was as thorough and easy to use as BSFAA. My children do not do the drawing everyday, they do tire of this part of the curriculum so we simply will color every other unit or so. Even my pre-k child can do this. The review system is the key to the progam, they do not feel like they are "reviewing" since they are asked a variety of questions each day. They seem to retain things better with this system and it is so easy to implement! The memory work is easy to do in addition to a church program you might be doing and if you choose to do the mapwork you will have some geography done. But don't let those little extras scare you, you do not have to use it all, just the Bible alone is what we focus on first and then add in the mapwork if time permits. It is a great guide to use for family devotions or a great Bible class for all your children.

Tracy Shivley

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 13, 2005
  • Grades Used: all
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
This is our first year using Bible Study Guide For All Ages and we really love it. There are 4 volumes and each volume should last about a year using it two times per week. We ended up breaking each lesson up into two days so we do Bible 4 days per week.
They also come with worksheets which aren't absolutely necessary but are really fun. There are also two different levels of worksheets so that older students can be exposed to more timeline, mapping, vocabulary, etc. I bought 3 copies of the same beginners worksheets for my 4, 6, and 8 y.o.'s. There are review activities on the front of the worksheet (ex: 1. John the Baptist wore camel's hair. Color John the Baptist's clothing brown.) and the kids take turns reading the directions for the others. On the back of the worksheets are questions to help stimulate a discussion to help apply one theme of the reading to everyday life and a picture to color that illustrates the theme. It's fun to hear the kids discussing these principles and how they apply to life and sounding so grown up.
Basically our daily lessons take an hour all together but it really does go so quickly and the kids really enjoy it. Day 1 of a lesson would look like this: kids action songs (each kid picks a song from a list), memory work (like 10 commandments, the 12 apostles, etc.) -new and review, review questions from previous readings and brief discussion if needed, do the reading for the day (we take turns reading a verse each) do a story page where the kids draw a picture to illustrate the chapter (the first and second grader write 2-3 sentences to narrate also while the 4yo just tells me about her picture), then I pick a verse for them to copy on the back of their paper and write it on the dry erase board and they copy it from their Bibles (the 4yo either keeps working on her picture or colors in a Bible coloring book), and then close with a brief discussion on application and a prayer.
Day 2 of the same lesson looks like this:
Kids action songs, memory work present and review, read the chapter again taking turns verse by verse, brief discussion, answer comprehension questions for that days reading, do timeline and mapwork activities (they sell big posters with cards that can be used over and over) if applicable, worksheet (the kids lead), prayer.
It is the perfect curriculum to personalize for the needs of your family and ages of your kids. We have had a really good time with it and the kids have really learned so much.