NorthStar Academy On-Line

Jason

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 5, 2017
  • Dates used: 2015
Fraudulent school and the farthest thing from a Christian school as one can be. My son is Autistic, they locked him out of classes when he couldn’t attend, then charged us for an entire year of school that he was locked out of. Then they sent it to collection and put it in our credit report for )$1500. That’s $1500 for classes we never received or used do to a medical condition. We couldn’t even get in the classes. Sound Christian to you? They refused to discuss or acknowledge mistakes. We had to hire an attorney and start litigation, and dispute it on our credit. They also refused to send his transcript when we had to choose another school. Stay away, this is not a Christian school, it’s a money grab and they went out of their way to hurt my son.

mgb

• Reviewed on Monday, November 14, 2011
  • Grades Used: Grades 5 - 9
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
I would HIGHLY recommend NorthStar Academy Canada. I would encourage any parent who wants to educate their children at home but is overwhelmed with trying to make sure their child is following the Alberta cirriculum requirements to look into NorthStar. I found the lessons to be well put together and based solidly on Christian beliefs. The teachers were encouraging and always had something good to say that encouraged and uplifted my boys. The teachers were quick to respond to any questions we had. The lessons are well laid out and easy to follow. It really was a great experience for both of my boys.

Abdmom

• Reviewed on Monday, November 14, 2011
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
My daughter used NorthStar Canada to supplement her schooling. The teachers were quick to answer questions she had and make redo assignments available if she struggled with a concept. The Math teacher had videos created to show math skills and the social teacher was a real encourager. The English teacher let my daughter express her opinion on a passage and did not want standard answers. My daughter was very comfortable being herself.

The lessons were posted ahead of time so she could work ahead if she wanted. It was tough when she fell behind and the teachers reminded her that if she slipped too much she would have a hard time completing the year.

kriesky

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 13, 2011
  • Grades Used: Grade 7-9
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I would NOT recommend NorthStar Academy Canada on-line to anyone! My understanding in previewing the curriculum and asking a myriad of questions of the principal, Mrs. Kim Brown, was that NSA Canada had taken Alberta Learning curriculum and adapted it to Christian principles. In actuality, the NSA Canada teachers have written their own curriculum, but the curriculum has NOT been edited for 1. grade- appropriateness of content and assignments 2. basic grammatical and spelling errors and 3. the curriculum (as written by the teachers who are NOT curriculum-writers) is very inflexible; teachers assume prior knowledge rather than completing assessments at the beginning of the year and working to develop each students skills in the subject area. Also, the teachers are NOT available for the students (6 weeks to reply to my students questions is NOT acceptable) and both the principal and the teachers are NOT interested in working WITH the parent as co-teacher! There is a complete lack of respect for the parent-as-hometeacher and as a result a topdown system failure to communicate with the parent-teacher AND the students.