My Father's World

Druiz

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 4, 2016
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
We love it.The wonderful thing about homeschooling is that you can tweak it as you see fit. I added more to kindergarten daily lessons such as youtube videos when it said to present things on lessons.I also used kids encyclopedia.We had no problem moving on to first grade. We did not complete the entire kindergarten program before moving onto first as my son was already reading short vowel readers,and was not reading before beginning the program and had no preschool. He is reading well now and sounds out everything. He is on task with math, we tested him using Harcourt math our first grade public school uses he is doing very well. We will continue with my fathers world.

Becky Peterson

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
  • Grades Used: Adventures-Modern
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
We have been using My Father's World since we began home schooling in 2009, beginning with Adventures. My 3 children love it and so do I.

Adventures: the best MFW ever. It's fun, easy, and helps the student and parent fall in love with the USA.

Exploring Countries and Cultures: Excellent geography, especially for those of us who feel we never get enough of it. The activities for older students were great: finding latitude/longitude, and pages for countries. Also great memory work for older kids, to work to memorize all the countries (wow!).

Creation to Greeks: Ancient history foundation with the Bible as a primary source. Could spend 2 years here.

Rome to Reformation: This was when I felt MFW had too much on the lesson plan and I had to back down a bit. I couldn't get all the readings in each day and still tackle every other subject for all my kids. As my kids got older, it got harder to keep up.

Exploration: The best time to bring Adventures supplements back for your younger kids who missed it.

Modern: We are here this year. While I love the time period and we are using some of the Adventures supplements, I think this is the one year I'm a bit disappointed with. The student pages are lacking, and the Story of the World student pages (that you have to buy in addition) are not great either. In years past the SOTW had many color pages. This year it's an outline and a map for nearly every chapter. I disagree that one should wait until 4th grade for this cycle. My 3rd and 5th grader love it. There has been so much violence/war in history so far, that the modern era isn't very shocking. Don't forget, in Ancients we used the Old Testament for a primary source; plenty of violence there.

I would recommend MFW for someone who doesn't want to do all the planning. I would also recommend to buy this used. Each year MFW seems to revise the curriculum in some way to encourage new purchases, but you can do just fine with used material and buying only new student pages.

gratitude

• Reviewed on Monday, June 23, 2014
  • Grades Used: K twice, 1st three times, ADV twice, & ECC
  • Dates used: 2010 - 2015
I found My Father's World 1/2 way through my oldest Kindergarten year. At that time he began with the First Grade Program, and we Loved it! Since then much of our home school foundation, and my learning to teach my own children, has benefited from our use of MFW.

My Father's World is a very mission minded curriculum. It promotes service, gives ideas for service projects, and through Exploring Countries and Cultures having a heart for the world and Bible translation. MFW's goal is to have families see the world through God's eyes.

I loved the focus on both the OT and NT of the Bible while teaching my children to read in the First Grade program. The First Grade program was my favorite, of the ones we have used, from MFW.

I loved the service project ideas in Adventures and the very gentle introduction to American History. I liked it so much I pulled parts from it and re-did certain portions of it for my two middle children when they were in 3rd and 2nd grades last school year (2014 - 15).

I did have difficulty implementing some portions of Exploring Countries and Cultures. We did our best though. Our favorite elements to this program were the Bible Translation, Kingdom Tales, Passport (definitely my kid's highlight), and Bible. It had some meaningful days in it for our family. I also found some Family DVDs following two children, from another culture, through their typical day in the country they live in. We learned a lot watching those DVDs while doing ECC. Lastly, after it was all said and done I really did understand that the Hazel's point to the program was the Great Commission. I knew that going in, but I couldn't always see it while doing it. Afterwards I could really see how interwoven the Great Commission is throughout the program.

My Father's World Kindergarten is a very gentle introduction to doing curriculum, reading, and literature.

If you want a plan, hands on projects, Biblical worldview, and missions focus you may find MFW to be a good fit for your family.

wishfullycontent

• Reviewed on Monday, March 10, 2014
  • Grades Used: k, 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I started K with my son in Aug 2013, about 2 months before he turned 5. He could say his ABCs but could not recognize many letters. After 5 months of using the K program, he was reading CVC words like cat, sun, etc...

The K program is VERY repetitive. You use the same worksheets every week with different sounds. It works. It may seem mind numbing to you but it works for little minds. Especially wiggly little boys. Now, after 5 months, we were done. We didn't do the last 6 or so units because my son was reading CVC words very well and getting bored. So I ordered the first grade program.
-The Bible lessons are great (and simple) and he enjoyed wearing his badges.
-I didn't feel the math was enough so I added some pages of my own. Now, I did LOVE the pages they did include but there just wasn't enough.

My son is now 5 and a half years old. We are up to week 14 (out of 34) and my son is excelling! He is reading really well...sounding out two syllable words and enjoying school. The phonics lessons are just right for him. Short and sweet but fast paced. We do the phonics lessons during school, the reading review a few hours later and he reads to his dad every night...so he reads 3 times a day.
-The Bible verses and stories are GREAT!
~The math is ok. It is also short and sweet so it isn't overwhelming for him. I don't know how it would be for a 6-7 year old.
~The science is pretty light but that is good at this stage. I think he would be overwhelmed with anything more. However, I don't feel he has really learned anything from it.
~I've seen several people complain about a lack of handwriting practice...however I think there is plenty of handwriting practice. The key to good handwriting is watching your child write and correcting mistakes until they start doing it correctly.
~We bought the art program, Drawing with Children but honestly I don't care for it.

The k program took us about 30 minutes to an hour every day. The first grade takes a hour to 1.5 hours.

I love MFW and plan to continue using it. However, I may end up using a different science program..I need more structure. MFW is very family friendly and definitely Mom friendly! It is so well laid out there is minimal planning (almost none). And another pro is the price!
12345678910...