My Father's World

mom of 2 boys

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 6, 2016
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2016
I'm sorry to say that MFW K was a waste of money for my son. This curriculum was far too easy for him and it did not contain nearly enough work. To be honest, I was nervous about purchasing it, but the people on the MFW forum convinced me that this curriculum is "enough" and that less is more in the beginning, so to speak. Well, unfortunately, we had to learn the hard way that this is simply not the case for every child, and that I disagree with this philosophy being a one size fits all.

While I do love the bible concepts in the curriculum, I was a little surprised to find that they expect a 5 year old to understand scriptures from an adult bible (considering how basic everything else is.) With that in mind, the concepts are just that - concepts. I've had to supplement the bible portion with a complete separate curriculum (the bible study guide for all ages) to ensure that he's actually learning the bible and not just biblical ideas.

I had to replace the phonics entirely because my son was already reading. MFW does offer suggestions for children who are already reading, but my son was just beyond this level no matter how you approached it. We started using progressive phonics, and he's happily moving right along, at his own pace, without any issues at all.

The math was basically non existent. There was about one basic work sheet per week. They do suggest that you purchase a simple math book at some point, but we ended up jumping right into Singapore Essential math, and he's literally doing 10X the amount that was included in MFW K with that, and to be honest, I don't even feel like he's doing all that much now even.

The science concepts are OK. Being that the majority of the information comes from library books, I am able to add different books to make it more interesting. That being said, I'm not sure what I've really paid for (the book list?) since the information is coming from the library and other sources.

I also replaced the handwriting with a separate curriculum (a reason for handwriting.) MFW just did not provide very much handwriting practice at all. My son is interested and more than willing to do the work, so again, why hold him back?

I'm even supplementing the "book basket" list - which was a major selling point of the curriculum for me. There were just SO many other popular childrens books that I want my son to read that were not on that list. I went ahead and printed a copy of Sonlight and FIAR's book lists as well as the Caldeott Metal winners list so that we would have more to choose from. It's not that the book list was "bad", it was just so heavily tied into each unit (which I suppose people who are really into unit studies might like) that it left no room for other kinds of books.

I don't necessarily think that this is a "bad" curriculum, I just found it to be way too light. I don't think that this would have bothered me so much if they were more upfront about that. I almost feel like the people who subscribe to MFW's way of thinking feel that education before the age of 7 or 8 is harmful or something. The way they were talking, they made me feel like I was doing my son some kind of a disservice by not letting him "play longer." Well, we're currently spending about an hour to an hour and a half per day on school - that leaves him with many many hours (too many hours if you ask me) of free time to play. I just didn't like that they tried to stuff every kid into the same box.

I think that this curriculum could be good for a preschooler, a child with a learning disability, or a child who just isn't very interested in academics. Otherwise, I would recommend planning your supplements ahead of time if you're going to use this.

mikeandstef08

• Reviewed on Monday, June 20, 2016
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2015
We switched from MFW to ABeka in the middle of the school year and I plan to continue using ABeka at least through elementary school. While my son liked the MFW lessons, they were just too easy for K. In fact, I honestly thought they were appropriate for preschool level. The way they teach reading was difficult to understand (in my opinion) and the math just wasn't anywhere near what K math should be. I ended up printing out worksheets off the web for a while before purchasing new curriculum.

That isn't to say that MFW is bad. They are fun and very child friendly, very Christ-centered and have lots of suggestions for activities. However, I feel like I can search for activities or YouTube videos on my own to add to lessons. The "meat" of the lessons are in the worksheets, especially math, and I feel that is really lacking in MFW.

Druiz

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 4, 2016
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
We love it.The wonderful thing about homeschooling is that you can tweak it as you see fit. I added more to kindergarten daily lessons such as youtube videos when it said to present things on lessons.I also used kids encyclopedia.We had no problem moving on to first grade. We did not complete the entire kindergarten program before moving onto first as my son was already reading short vowel readers,and was not reading before beginning the program and had no preschool. He is reading well now and sounds out everything. He is on task with math, we tested him using Harcourt math our first grade public school uses he is doing very well. We will continue with my fathers world.

Becky Peterson

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
  • Grades Used: Adventures-Modern
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
We have been using My Father's World since we began home schooling in 2009, beginning with Adventures. My 3 children love it and so do I.

Adventures: the best MFW ever. It's fun, easy, and helps the student and parent fall in love with the USA.

Exploring Countries and Cultures: Excellent geography, especially for those of us who feel we never get enough of it. The activities for older students were great: finding latitude/longitude, and pages for countries. Also great memory work for older kids, to work to memorize all the countries (wow!).

Creation to Greeks: Ancient history foundation with the Bible as a primary source. Could spend 2 years here.

Rome to Reformation: This was when I felt MFW had too much on the lesson plan and I had to back down a bit. I couldn't get all the readings in each day and still tackle every other subject for all my kids. As my kids got older, it got harder to keep up.

Exploration: The best time to bring Adventures supplements back for your younger kids who missed it.

Modern: We are here this year. While I love the time period and we are using some of the Adventures supplements, I think this is the one year I'm a bit disappointed with. The student pages are lacking, and the Story of the World student pages (that you have to buy in addition) are not great either. In years past the SOTW had many color pages. This year it's an outline and a map for nearly every chapter. I disagree that one should wait until 4th grade for this cycle. My 3rd and 5th grader love it. There has been so much violence/war in history so far, that the modern era isn't very shocking. Don't forget, in Ancients we used the Old Testament for a primary source; plenty of violence there.

I would recommend MFW for someone who doesn't want to do all the planning. I would also recommend to buy this used. Each year MFW seems to revise the curriculum in some way to encourage new purchases, but you can do just fine with used material and buying only new student pages.

12345678910...