My Father's World

wishfullycontent

• Reviewed on Monday, March 10, 2014
  • Grades Used: k, 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I started K with my son in Aug 2013, about 2 months before he turned 5. He could say his ABCs but could not recognize many letters. After 5 months of using the K program, he was reading CVC words like cat, sun, etc...

The K program is VERY repetitive. You use the same worksheets every week with different sounds. It works. It may seem mind numbing to you but it works for little minds. Especially wiggly little boys. Now, after 5 months, we were done. We didn't do the last 6 or so units because my son was reading CVC words very well and getting bored. So I ordered the first grade program.
-The Bible lessons are great (and simple) and he enjoyed wearing his badges.
-I didn't feel the math was enough so I added some pages of my own. Now, I did LOVE the pages they did include but there just wasn't enough.

My son is now 5 and a half years old. We are up to week 14 (out of 34) and my son is excelling! He is reading really well...sounding out two syllable words and enjoying school. The phonics lessons are just right for him. Short and sweet but fast paced. We do the phonics lessons during school, the reading review a few hours later and he reads to his dad every night...so he reads 3 times a day.
-The Bible verses and stories are GREAT!
~The math is ok. It is also short and sweet so it isn't overwhelming for him. I don't know how it would be for a 6-7 year old.
~The science is pretty light but that is good at this stage. I think he would be overwhelmed with anything more. However, I don't feel he has really learned anything from it.
~I've seen several people complain about a lack of handwriting practice...however I think there is plenty of handwriting practice. The key to good handwriting is watching your child write and correcting mistakes until they start doing it correctly.
~We bought the art program, Drawing with Children but honestly I don't care for it.

The k program took us about 30 minutes to an hour every day. The first grade takes a hour to 1.5 hours.

I love MFW and plan to continue using it. However, I may end up using a different science program..I need more structure. MFW is very family friendly and definitely Mom friendly! It is so well laid out there is minimal planning (almost none). And another pro is the price!

julie.brooks

• Reviewed on Friday, January 17, 2014
  • Grades Used: 9th and 10th
  • Dates used: 2012 to present
Ancient History and Literature and World History and Literature

My son used the Ancient History curriculum last year (2012-2013) and is using the World History curriculum this year (2013-2014).

Both of these curriculums have been exceptional less the language arts. The literature is awesome and provides a wonderful array of classic books to read, but the grammar and composition are not enough for my liking. We use Rod & Staff English as a supplement. I have also added in 'God and the History of Art' for the fine arts credit--which has been amazing.

My son has thoroughly enjoyed both curriculums and that is saying a great deal. I took him out of public school after the 8th grade, because he wasn't completing all his assigned work, learning much of anything and his attitude was very unpleasant both at school and at home. What a turn around since we have been homeschooling! I feel confident that these curriculums have provided our son an excellent education in history, bible, and literature in an interesting, fun, and meaningful way.

My son and I highly recommend both of these curriculums with a note that the literature is definitely challenging, especially for those kids who may not like to read (They will need to read the original language in books like Caesar and Beowulf, however, an understandable English translation is on the opposite pages :) Good luck!

ctmayfield

• Reviewed on Friday, August 30, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012 - 2013
This review is for MFW Adventures. For our first year to homeschool I could not have been happier with our choice. I learnt a lot and it was at just the right speed for a newbie. However, once the year was over, I definitely wanted to make some changes and had some things I loved and also had some critiques. For us, the science was too shallow so half way through we switched over to Apologia. Likewise, while I loved the kids learning bible verses and the names of Jesus, we will switch off to a more in-depth bible study in the years to come. We did enjoy all of the read alouds and the book basket is really the crowning glory of MFW. I would order several from the library, lay them out and let the kids peruse and choose as they wanted. The book basket definitely helped peak their interest in the time period we were studying. I did find that about half way through when we switched over to studying state-by-state that the teachers' manual was a lot less informative and quite honestly we got a little bored of filling our state after state sheet. I made it more interesting by using printouts from the U.S. Mint State Quarter website and found a video that had 10 minute snippets about each state. I don't think the kids learned much about each state as it got overwhelming going over every single state bird, state flower, state motto week to week. But I appreciated the overview of US History. We'll see in the years to come what they remember and learned.

Temara

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2012/2013
This review is for Adventures.......I was so excited to start this new program. I don't know if I would repeat it with another of my 2nd graders however. The pro's are that the lessons are not very long. We can finish a week in 2 days if needed.The science is fun and engaging yet simple for your little ones to grasp. The 50 State pages where fun to color and the Art is great and really goes into how to draw and color wheels. Some of the read outloud books were great.The cons are that some of the read out loud chosen for this year were too long for some of the books. I love on the banks of plum creek but to read it outloud was too much for my 7 year old son. I finally gave up in the middle of Farmer Boy and found some books at the library from this author geared more to this age group.This happened with several of the reads out louds through the year. I spent more time in the read outlouds than we did with the schooling itself every day. On top of the read outlouds, you have other stories to read in history and in pioneers book as well. Then you have a book basket too. This is alot of time to read to someone. As the year goes on the teachers manual has less and less in it for that day. Which is okay toward mid year. I did not like that there wasn't a Bible devotion for each day of the week. Even a few lines would be okay come midweek but there would be some days that you would just go over the memory verse and that would be all for that day. Yes there would be other mention in other places but I like my Bible to be Bible time. We have 4 under 7 and it is tough to make the trips to the library for the books needed for the book basket. I would often just find my own to match what was being taught. Despite all of this I am going to order the 3rd grade year because I like that I can teach the kids all at once. I have also seen good reviews about that year as well. It looked to be better put together than this years.I am hopefully anyway :)
12345678910...