Math-U-See

Stanleytwins

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 23, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2015
If you want a straight-forward math program that does nothing besides teach basic addition and subtraction, then this would be perfect for you. It definitely meets the common core standards using the manipulatives and teaching kids things like 8+7 = (8+2 = 10) + (7-2=5) = 15. I found this much more confusing than just teaching my kids to memorize or figure out the problems in their own way. We tried stretching out Alpha for two years in the hopes that my girls would get a good grasp on their addition and subtraction facts. They were making As on their tests, but I could tell we were missing the mark. They were bored. I even supplemented with some additional online programs such as xtramath and Kahn Academy. None of that seemed to help them grasp the problems. We have since moved to A Beka 2nd grade math and my girls are flying through it. It takes much more time for me to prepare, but they can easily spout off their addition and subtraction tables and have learned to read a clock, count money, recognize fractions, tell < and >, and count by 2s (odd and even), 3s, and 10s just in our first two weeks of using the new curriculum.

It just wasn't a good fit for us, but I can definitely see how this program would work beautifully for a self-motivated math-minded kiddo. They could fly through this with very little parent involvement and have great results.

Stacey828

• Reviewed on Monday, October 20, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014- 1025
This is my sons first year being home schooled, i was very worried about him learning well in a home environment and getting distracted. He loves the MUS!! It would be a little more creative but he loves the blocks and that seems to be enough for him. Hes not a fan of coloring so he gets tired of coloring the blocks all the time but its very doable, easy lesson plans for you to teach him. we are on lesson 14 and he has picked up on every thing very well!!

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: K-4th
  • Dates used: 2012-14
We LOVE MUS!

I started my middle child on it after we wasted an ENTIRE year doing math with another program.
He started with MUS Alpha. It was perfect for him. Now he's in 3rd grade, and has gone from being (at the beginning of 1st) the kid who wasn't retaining the math information (because of the teaching method of the other program) to the kid I consider the most 'mathy' of the 3.

After I started one child with MUS, I switched my older son to it as well. He's gone through MUS Delta. This year I'm starting my youngest on MUS Primer, and so far we love it. It's perfect for her, too!!

There has been some talk and speculation about it not being enough in high school, but I always take things one year at a time. We may switch when the kids get older, or we may not. Right now, however, they are all learning the fundamentals - and learning them WELL - with MUS, so I have no reason to switch. As far as the later/high school years go, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I can say without a doubt that MUS is a solid program for elementary.

travelbug

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 17, 2014
  • Dates used: 2103
I pulled my daughter out of public school after finishing grade 1, and since she had learned pretty well nothing there, we started at grade 1 math. After doing a great deal of research, we began with MUS. I even showed her the sample videos. Everything looked great ... and she hated it. Now, to be fair, she hates math, period, but it just didn't go well at all.

I found the program to be dull and unimaginative. I really feel that I could have just made up a chart of addition question, quizzed her on those until she got them, and come up with exactly the same result.

There are some "tricks" taught in the program that are supposed to help learn equations better, to do more mental math -- like for 9+ something equations, you turn it into a 10+ something. For example, 9+3 is the same as 10+2. 10+2 is much easier to add in your head. Makes sense to me. Didn't make much sense to her. Especially when we got into 8+5 is the same as 10+3. It was just lost on her.

So, in short, I think it works well for some people, but it was a disaster for us. The manipulatives, which I thought would be great for a tactile kid didn't do anything for her (though she made friends with them some time after we switched programs). The videos didn't do anything for her (though she generally loves videos).

After switching over to Mammoth Math (I'll write a review for that too), I discovered that my daughter is actually really good at math. Go figure. She still hates it, but she's learned more.
12345678910...