Moving With Math

wendyh

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 8, 2006
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
We love this program! We are using Moving with Math Grade 1 Primary. It is easy to use and creative. You are given a teacher's notebook that has 180 lessons. Each lesson is easy to follow. There is a short intro activity, a worksheet, and follow-up activities which are usually simple games. I like it because there are a lot of hands-on options and also short worksheets. We usually do both in each lesson, but it is easy to skip over if you feel like your child has mastered the concept. Each day also has recommended literature to go along with the lesson (like Little Engine that Could). If you are interested, send a way for the free samples from Math Teachers Press. They have several curriculum options besides Primary 1.

We used Singapore Math which in theory I liked, but my son was bored to death. I feel like MWM covers the same concepts, but is a whole lot more fun. We also tried Saxon K, which was a bit too scripted for me. Good luck in your decision making! Hope this helps.

Desiree

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 10, 2005
  • Grades Used: 6th Grade+
  • Dates used: 2001-2002
I have seen that most of the comments that are made about this product have come from families that used this product in the beginning levels, so I thought that I would give the perspective from jr. high, Level C. I am very sorry to say, we HATED (no, DETESTED)this program. Firstly, there is not an effective teachers manual so if you are not a math teacher and know everything already then this program will be extremely difficult and frustrating for both the parent and the child (this made for school at night when dad came home :( ). Secondly, there was no solution book, to help break a problem down with. Thirdly, there were so many mistakes in the answer key that we wouldn't trust it and would have to manually check her answers ourselves (which could be a big time waster). Fourthly, and I think most importantly, there was a lack of substantial explanation about how or why the problems were done. Lastly, the quality of the printing in the books was very poor and looked like a copy of a copy. I didn't think that this program was effective in teaching my 6th grader anything, we ended up changing to Math U See, and really didn't like that program much better either. It probably came at a bad time to try to make such massive changes in how to process the math right after we had such a disasterous time with MWM. After trying both of these programs over the course of a year, we switched to ABeka Math. The only problem, was we knew that we had just wasted our dd's time and that we would have to re-do 6th grade math in Abeka now, because she hadn't really learned anything. We have always regretted the time spent with those 2 programs, because my dd is still 1 year behind what would be the norm. She is in Abeka prealgebra when she should be in Algebra right now in 9th grade. I cannot in good conscience say anthing good about MWM (oh, wait there is one thing, I always got very nice customer service when I called and if we got amazingly stuck on something I could talk to a math teacher, that is the only thing...)and I withhold judgement on MUS, due to the timing and the burned out, frustrated experience that our family was going through at the time. But, I still think that if you want to start with MUS then you should get the child young and make sure that you as the teacher understand the program too. Because, if you don't you could undermine his program. Maybe, more work than it is worth in the long run? One more little note, when we finally got our Abeka math for 6th grade in the mail and our dd did her first assignments, she said YAH, I finally understand this math. We won't change now for nothing!

C Ketchum

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 17, 2004
  • Grades Used: a,b and c
  • Dates used: 2001-2004
I've used all levels except D on this program and really think it does the job. I agree with some previous posts that it can be a bit intimidating with trying to figure out how to pull it all together because it's just plain different. But I think this weakness is also it's strength. It isn't just a sequential math program with worksheets you just hand to your kid. You have to look it over and constantly evaluate your child's mastering of the info. it is a perfect blend of hands on and worksheets. It has great tips on teaching concepts and reteaching them if the first way didn't work.

Deidre

• Reviewed on Saturday, December 20, 2003
  • Grades Used: 1 (Primary Program)
  • Dates used: 2003
I used this program with my 6yo, after he completed Saxon K at 4yo, and Singapore 2A/2B (K level) at 5yo. I absolutely LOVE this program!! There is such a variety of activities to choose from, that it never becomes monotonous or boring. If a particular type of activity becomes boring, choose a different activity for a while. My only complaint is that there are some introduction activities that assume a classroom of children (we skipped these without a problem, though). I felt the program was very well laid out...the only page flipping was for book extensions and reviews, and I can understand why these would be separate. My suggestion would be to keep a sticky tab on those pages.