Making Math Meaningful

Amy G

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 3, 2010
  • Grades Used: k-2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-current
We love this program. My husband and I are both mathematically-minded people, and we love the fact that we're teaching our children to think mathematically from a young age. They're being introduced to algebra in the Level 1 book, so we feel that they'll do well when they're ready for algebra.

We do use the program faster than it's designed to be used. It doesn't take us a year to finish one book. That's okay, though. I really want them to be done with calculus by the end of the 10th grade so that they can go on to community college from there (having already received a good foundation in math at home), so moving along quickly isn't a problem. Besides, with the very low price of this curriculum, it doesn't make it too expensive.

We do skip lessons sometimes when I'm convinced that they're totally grounded in the concept and don't need additional review. And when they need extra help in drills, we get workbooks from the dollar store.

I know that some people don't really care for the kindergarten book, but we do. Having done it twice so far, I'll start it at age 4 with some children if they seem to be ready for it. Right now I'm using it with a 5.5 year old boy who simply isn't ready to write numbers in math class. The kindergarten book is perfect for him because there is no number writing until the end of the book. I love the fact that I can teach him math easily without tiring him. He gets enough handwriting practice in our handwriting class--thinking about writing his numbers legibly AND doing math at the same time would be too much for him right now. For my oldest, I used Singapore Math workbooks as well as MMM for kindergarten. That was fine, but next time we'll just start Level 1 earlier.

prendyJ

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd grade
  • Dates used: 2009
This curriculum was unnecessarily confusing and wordy. The biggest problem was trying to match the page in the teacher's edition with the student edition. Should this be a big problem? I shows how unwieldy the set is. When I wrote for help, I didn't hear back from them. There were some good concepts for pre-algebra but there was too much to weed through to get to them. A waste of money, in my opinion.

JennieB.

• Reviewed on Monday, August 20, 2007
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
MMM was too confusing for us! If you like the hands on approach, than this may work out well for you. It didn't for us. My children were confused by this math curriculum (and so was I!) and didn't like it. I tossed it after a few unsuccessful attempts. But, they liked playing with the manipulatives, though! Great concept for those who need hands on learning. Also, it seemed to go at a slower pace than other math programs.

54jesus

• Reviewed on Friday, May 25, 2007
  • Grades Used: K-Algebra
  • Dates used: 2000-Present
We began using this in 2000 when our oldest was in 2nd grade and our middle was in K. We started with the 1st grade book and they did it together until 6th grade, when our oldest worked to catch up to her actual grade level (her choice). We have three children, our oldest is now just finishing the Algebra book. Our other two are finishing Levels 4 and 6. All of our children have done very well with this curriculum and exell in math.

We LOVE this curriculum for 1-6, but not for Algebra or K. We will not use it with our other children above Level 6.

There are mistakes in the books here and there, but there aren't a lot and they just haven't been a big deal to us. I spoke to Mr. Quine at the local homeschool fair every year for the first few years that we used it and we discussed the mistakes. They are not intentional, however they are a good learning opportunity. The kids really have to prove themselves when they come up.

The curriculum really does what it says it will do. Teaches children to understand how, when and why to use math in their lives.

We don't care for Level K. Our older two didn't do it, and when our youngest got to it we tried, and it was just way to easy for him, with lots of repetion. Basically I'd open the book each week and ask him some of the questions to be sure he knew the concept...if he did, that was it for the week.

It doesn't teach some basic skills such as telling time. For each child I bought a little workbook when they were in first grade that taught them that. It took just a few weeks and that was done. As for counting money, they just didn't need that in a curriculum. They're always counting their money and knew how before they started school.

As for the times tables, I do wish that was included more in the curriculum, however there is a point in one level (can't recall which one) that tells you that it's time to focus on learning the times tables. If you do it then, you'll be fine.

All in all, we highly recommend this curriculum! Our kids not only love math, but are VERY good at it and understand it very well.

One more thing, if you don't start in K or 1, it will be very hard to get into it....I don't know why, but nobody I've ever recommended it to after those grades liked it. They said it was just too different for them at that point. However, if you do start by Level 1, you will likely love it and so will your kids.