Times Tales

Eddie

• Reviewed on Sunday, February 12, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Rather than reinventing the wheel, I'm linking to my review: http://theusualmayhem.blogspot.com/2012/02/times-tales-update-review.html

mbennett01

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009
We had never used anything like this before, but I decided to give it a try when my middle child just couldn't seem to remember multiplication from one week to the next.

LOVE IT! I guess it really jives with his style of learning. It really worked!

Calming Tea

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 11, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
We are thrilled with Times Tales. The directions were clear, it was easy to use, my son enjoyed it, and the product came on good quality glossy cardstock. There are sheets for practice quizzes that you can copy and even a cut out math dice cube with the characters.

It took no time at all to get started, and most of all...it worked! My son now knows all the upper times tables.

Here are a few caveats:

1. It doesn't cover lower times tables. It doesn't cover lower 3's, lower 4's or 5's at all. I didn't know this when I bought it so I was disappointed. It's such a great product, I don't know why she doesn't just add in ALL the times tables. People can always choose to opt out of the ones they already have memorized.

2. Once your child uses mnemonics stories to memorize something, then he or she ALWAYS seems to have to draw up the story to remember it. My son can't seem to move from the story to instant-recall which would be preferable. It is coming, in time, with daily drill and review. But I thought it would come within a few days of finishing the program...that is not the case.

Overall I am thrilled. My son can't sing well and doesn't memorize by chant or song. And after doing 3 months of fact copywork he still wasn't getting anywhere. So this has been a dream come true for us.

If you have a child that sings well and memorizes well then you are better off with Math Songs Multiplication...because then as soon as the song is learned it will be in your child's instant retrieval memory, whereas in TImes Tales your child has to think of the story to think of the fact. That's worth it for dyslexics, those who don't memorize well, etc. but not for other kids who could just learn a song and be done with it.

happy.homeschool

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd - 5th
  • Dates used: 2006
I wanted to give this a try, since I didn't really like Times Tables (and Addition Facts) the Fun Way. But, I don't like this one either. I see I'm in the minority here. All previous reviewers seem to rave about it. But, this was actually even more confusing to me than Times Tables the Fun Way (read my review for that one too).

One positive for Times Tales is that the numbers are consistent. There are only four numbers (Times Tales only teaches the upper times tables) and each number represent the same thing, for the most part. The 6's are a 1st grade class (maybe because first graders are usually 6 years old??), 7 is Mrs. Week, 8 is Mrs. Snowman, 9 is a treehouse.

The stories are what confuse me. For 6 X 9 it shows the big 9 treehouse and four 6's (the 6 is the head of a kid and each one has a stick body; these represent the 1st grade class). But why are there four of them standing by the tree? The story is: "The 1st grade class visited the treehouse to put up 54 Christmas lights". To me, it should have just been one 6; why should it be the 9 and a 6, 6, 6, 6?

Here's another story: "Mrs. Week and Mrs. Snowman were driving together in a car and went one mile over the speed limit". The picture shows the 8 snowman and the 7 lady in a van with a speed limit sign that says 55 mph. So, this story is supposed to trigger your memory that 8 X 7 = 56. If you saw the pictures you might remember that story, but what if your child just sees the numbers 8 X 7 in their math workbook? Will this trigger their memory to remember the 8 and the 7 in the van with the 55 speed limit and it's one mile more than the limit so it's 56? I don't know.

Another story that confuses me: 8 X 6. The story is "Mrs. Snowman visited the 1st grade class and showed them 4 birds and an 8 legged spider". To me, it's just too confusing. There's a picture of the snowman in front of the black board with her stick arms straight out. On one stick arm are four birds and on the other arm is one spider. In front of her are standing six 6's (the first grade class). Again, why are there six 6's here and not just one (instead of calling it the first grade class it could have just been one 6-year old or something)? So, I look at this picture and think...ok, there's an 8 (the snowman) and 4 birds and a spider (but you'll need to remember that it's the legs of the spider.....8 legs), and there's the six 6's. Well, obviously it's supposed to be 8 X 6 = 48 (so it's either the 8 snowman X the six 6's = the 4 birds and the 8 legs of the spider (48) or is it the spider legs (8) times the six 6's = the birds (4) and the snowman (8) for 48?? I just don't think this is the best way to learn the times tables. It seems way to confusing to me.

I don't mean to be overly critical about Times Tales or to overly analyze it. But there's only a handful of stories and most just seem odd. I found a better option with Memorize in Minutes the Times Tables. That book is great! Right now there's no place to review that book here, so until then, look at Amazon for my review (written by Mom of Many Munchkins).