Miquon Math

UrbanGal

• Reviewed on Friday, March 11, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2004-Present
We LOVE Miquon!! We have used all the books from Orange to Purple. I have 3 kids (6th, 3rd and 2nd). My younger 2 are finishing Purple and Green now. I love the way it teaches potentially difficult concepts so easily. It makes topics, such as multiplying fractions, a breeze. It can be intimidating at first because there isn't a "traditional" teacher's guide, but I refer to the Lab Annotations often, especially at the beginning of a topic. The idea is for the parent to present the ideas/concepts with the rods, let the kids play with the rods to explore those concepts, and then use the workbook pages as practice. It's not an open the book and go type of program, since it is much more teacher intensive than some popular math programs, but it's worth it! My kids are not afraid to tackle difficult problems because of Miquon, and they really understand the 'why' behind the math. The scope and sequence is very different from traditional programs, but for me, that only adds to its strengths. Your children will be covering topics not usually covered until later grades. The only supplementing we do is with word problems. We begin using Challenging Word Problems for Primary Mathematics 3 when a child is in the Purple book and complete that series at their own pace. We also play math games and use flashcards to help cement math facts when needed.

thecrowleygirl

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 27, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st - 4th
  • Dates used: 2003 - 2008
Miquon was a wonderful suppliment to our using Saxon Math. I think math needs the repetition as it builds upon previous facts learned, so Saxon Math provided this. But, as a wonderful suppliment, I wished I had learned fractions the way Miquon teaches it. Most days we would do our Saxon math lesson, but then suppliment with just 1 or 2 pages of Miquon which only added about 5 to 10 minutes to the school day.

I loved that my children were doing multilplication, division, and fractions in the first grade. It's a very hands on and they visually saw fractions. My oldest finished the miquon program by the end of 4th grade, my 2nd child by 5th. Also, when Saxon Math started covering the concept of multiplication, division, and fractions, we were able to skip those lessons as my kids had a firm foundational understanding of these concepts thanks to Miquon! I can say the Lab Sheet Annotations book (definitely needed) took some time to understand how to use the program, but it was so worth the initial effort. Because once I understood it, the program was fantastic and I couldn't believe how easy Miquon made math for my kids!!

The Miquon program even states it's not meant to be used as a math program by it's own, that it's meant to be a suppliment. Some people try to use it as a sole math curriculum and thus end up dropping it. Once I saw how it worked, I can't imagine teaching math to any child without Miquon as a suppliment.

karmenjones

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 11, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
I feel that upon completing the Miquon books my child will have mastered many math concepts. However, we do not use this program as our core math. Initially, we used Miquon to supplement Singapre math. We more recently droppped Singapore math and began Math-U-See (a huge improvement!) and are continuing to use Miquon as a supplement. My daughter defintely benefits from learning the concepts and memorizing the facts before doing the Miquon pages. Miquon doesn't offer much drill, so if your child needs that you'll have to find it elsewhere. Miquon encourages manipulation of numbers and a deep understanding of how numbers work together, but for us this works best after mastering the basics. Math-u-see is amazing. I play to continue using this combination with my other kids.

narrow4life

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 11, 2009
  • Dates used: 2007-2009
I think Miquon has some excellent things to offer. I actually use it along with Saxon, though not in the same day. We do Saxon 3 times a week and Miquon twice a week or so. If we get to a road block where it seems the kids just aren't getting it we put it away for awhile and just keep going with Saxon. I think it's a great supplement to Saxon as it is very different. It teaches more mental math and also provides variety. It's working really well for us!