Learning Language Arts through Literature

twfleger

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 19, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 6th, and 9th
  • Dates used: 2013 - Present
Love this program! After 13 years of homeschooling I think I've finally found something that works for each child, and that lays a great foundation for reading, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing.

I love that each lesson is different in some way, and doesn't bore you with repetitive worksheets. It really seems to have a Charlotte Mason approach that I love. The books you read with the programs and interesting and fun!

I plan to stick with this through high school.

titus2

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 23, 2013
  • Grades Used: Blue - Grey
  • Dates used: 2005-2013
This is an all in one program. The Blue Book - listed as grade one - begins at what I would label a Kinder stage...just beginning to recognize letters and sounds. By the middle of Blue book, the kids are reading those short CVC words and can make out simple stories.

The Red book is set up differently than the future books. It includes a LOT of cutting, pasting, and "have your teacher read", however, it is quite easy to skip those portions or have your child read them for himself if he/she is a strong reader. Red book follows along with it's own readers which the children use to build a cute "reading chart" out of.

We found the rest of the LLATL books to be very gentle in approach and consistent at laying a foundation for future writing assignments and grammar as we went through the series.

This is NOT a series where you can grasp the full impact by doing one book. The full effect of LLATL can be found in the consistent usage of each grade (color) level. This is a wonderful program that DOES teach what's needed if you stick with it. It's hard to see the forest, when focusing on one tree....given the opportunity, this program can really shine!

PS: We have also used this program Red Book through Green Book and then sent that child off to public school....they excelled in English class. :0)

faithmom

• Reviewed on Friday, April 19, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st - 10th & ongoing
  • Dates used: 2003 -2013 ongoing
We've used this since 1st grade. This is a wonderful program that follows a Charlotte Mason approach. Each year builds to a stronger and age appropriate level. Your child will be ready for college by the end of high school.

I add another spelling program to it because I prefer a different way to teach spelling through 8th grade. The spelling method in LLATL is Charlotte Mason, which is fine for 100% followers of her method. I have a hard time letting go of how I was taught spelling, so that's my reasoning.

In high school, I add Easy Grammar Ultimate Series just to reinforce.....that's a 5 minute page each day.

Honestly, I have to say that for the naysayers of LLATL, you need to stick with it to see the bigger picture and success of the entire program. My best friend's daughter used this from the beginning in it's entirety and she just graduated with honors in college. In fact, she received an award for having the highest grade point average in the history of the college in their communications degree department. She is the first to walk across the stage. This college isn't just a drop in the bucket. It is a good college. She is proof that LLATL works and she is not the exception!

In a nutshell....stick with it, trust the program and let it blossom! There is a gentler way to teach your children, especially in the elementary years. High school picks up on the solid foundation from previous levels in order to prepare for college.

murrellmom

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 10, 2012
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
This is a wonderful well-rounded curriculum. Some things are challenging, but never too tough. A must-have for the mom's that are a little concerned about teaching grammar. This eases you in nicely to the grammar, even for those of us that never had grammar in our education growing up. The spelling words are great. The writing passages are neat. The books to read are a bit too simple for my daughter, but she reads plenty of other books, so it's ok if her school books are not extremely challenging. Will stick with this curriculum for several years to come!
12345678910...