Learning Language Arts through Literature

mshanson3121

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 7, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
We have recently started using LLATL, the red series for my highly proficient reader. Even though his reading is well above grade level, we decided to go with the red book, to work on grammar, spelling and critical thinking skills.

All I can say is WOW. Don't let the negative reviews sway you - this truly is a thorough, and comprehensive program. It is spiral approach, so it builds upon itself, with lots of review.

The program is an excellent value for what you get (buy through www.christianbook.com for best pricing). The books/binding are all very high quality.

My son truly enjoys this program, and I can see us sticking with it. And I plan on starting my youngest in it, come fall. There is a nice variety of activities, and the literature selections are excellent. All very easy to find books.

The only "cons" that I see (and they're minor):

- I'm not crazy on the handwriting.It's an italicized approach. So you may want to supplement with something else.

- The lessons can be long. There are times where I have to break up one day's activities into two days. But, I don't consider this a big deal.

jeather

• Reviewed on Monday, July 7, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
For our first year homeschooling, (kindergarten) I loved the idea of an all-in-one language arts program. As promised, the program really is all-in-one. However, I found the coverage of most of the subjects to be far to light for my liking. Also, the organization off the materials was a bit lax as well.

By the end of the year, I had supplemented with additional handwriting, spelling, and reading curricula because the coverage was just too light to really work. This curriculum may work for a gifted student who needs little to no repetition, but for my son, it was nowhere near enough.

The word lists often had errors in them (words listed twice, words not covered yet, etc). The teacher's manual made no distinction between outside reading materials and the included readers. This meant going through the entire book and picking out all the books I needed from the library just so I would have them in time.

I can't express enough disappointment with the spelling coverage. I got All About Spelling to fill in the gaps, and noticed huge gaps in the LLATL coverage of spelling rules - basically, there were none. They never attempted to explain vowel usage, or when to use k, instead of ck, etc. It was just a guessing game.

It wasn't all bad though. Many of the activities and lessons were fun and effective. The readers were great - I'd honestly consider buying just the readers for next year.

If you have a student who can learn from one light lesson, then I'm sure this curriculum would work very well. For my family, it's just not complete.

susieinms

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 7, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-12th
  • Dates used: 2000-2014
We have used most levels of LLATL. My older children used levels Tan (6th) - Golds (12th) from the time we discovered this program. My youngest now has used part of the Blue (it didn't fit her at that time), and all of the Red and Yellow. We now have the Orange and I have read through it. As with all other levels I get excited looking at all that is in stored for the new year.

LLATL is very complete and offers a good deal of variety in the lessons. My dd actually looks forward to her lessons. Besides the normal dictation, grammar, spelling, writing, etc you will also see fun activities sprinkled throughout the books. One fun lesson that comes to mind is when the child becomes a detective after reading a section taken from Encyclopedia Brown.

Looking over the Orange Book I know my dd will love the writing components: making her own book of poems and the newspaper project. The sound of the latter didn't thrill me till I saw the lessons. The authors of LLATL have a great way of making learning fun.

I do the spelling just as designed in LLATL. You are to add your child's misspelled words to the weekly list. This way they focus on works they need work on.

I have tried other Language Arts programs and none have come close to this one. I realize no curricula is a fit for all families/ children, but for us this one is tops. I could not be happier.

I would like to agree with Titus2 when she said:
" This is NOT a series where you can grasp the full impact by doing one book. The full effect of LLATL can be found in the consistent usage of each grade (color) level. This is a wonderful program that DOES teach what's needed if you stick with it. It's hard to see the forest, when focusing on one tree....given the opportunity, this program can really shine!"

twfleger

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 19, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 6th, and 9th
  • Dates used: 2013 - Present
Love this program! After 13 years of homeschooling I think I've finally found something that works for each child, and that lays a great foundation for reading, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing.

I love that each lesson is different in some way, and doesn't bore you with repetitive worksheets. It really seems to have a Charlotte Mason approach that I love. The books you read with the programs and interesting and fun!

I plan to stick with this through high school.
12345678910...