Life in America

Debra T.

• Reviewed on Friday, November 23, 2012
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten/first grade/5th grade
  • Dates used: 5 years ago/now
I used this curriculum-the first Life In A new World with my daughter about 5 years ago.It was the first printing and yes,there were typos in it.But it was not so bad we could not figure it out.My daughter loved it and learned alot being in the 5th grade.It was easy to use and not hard to find the needed books.She gives you a listing of literature books and you can pick and choose from various grade levels.We picked a book a section.Worked well.We did borrow the History of the US books from the library.It went well.
I am gathering now for my next generation-for my gran daughter.I liked this easy unit so well back then that I wanted to find the units to use with my grand daughter.Unfortunately,what I can gather is that the author closed up shop and you can no longer buy these units new.I have managed to get the first five of these units and still searching for the others.
There are also cd's that you can use in this curriculum and a handwriting program,a writing program and grammar program written by a different author that goes along with each unit.
I have these for first few units and love the layout of these.
Overall,I love these units and all that go along with the units.
I found using with older and a younger child it works great.With a highschooler,you would need to do higher literature which she has listed.I think it's very easy to use and very much coverage.Love this curriculum!!!!

Jennifer Queener

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 14, 2005
  • Grades Used: All
  • Dates used: 2000-currently
We are a family of 4 kids and have only used the Life in America series by Ellen Gardner. As of 2005 I have a boy in 5th, girl in 3rd, girl in 1st and a boy in K. They love the hands on activities and the CD's. I do supplement some lessons with other books if I see there is a particular interest. I like the easy to teach lessons. I have each child pick out a project to work on and then we present them to dad and grandparents at the end of the week. We have been through Life in a New World and are starting Life in the Colonies.

Laura in Atlanta

• Reviewed on Monday, October 4, 2004
  • Dates used: 2004 - Currently
We are VERY happy with this curriculum. I met Ellen in Atlanta, summer of 2004 at the home school expo. I found myself immediately drawn to her speech about learning styles of our children and I was hooked from there. Her approach to history-based learning is really fantastic. We are now a few months into our FIRST YEAR home schooling. We purchased the curriculum and also enrolled my 5th grader in Ellen's local 2 day/week training program in Kennesaw, GA which is run like a one room schoolhouse. The curriculum utilizes all of a child's learning styles and is very detailed. There are varieties of CDs, workbooks, experiments and hands-on learning work you change to throughout the day to keep the learning exciting - for all of us! Keep up the great work for our kids...

nancy h

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 20, 2004
  • Dates used: first half of school year
I bought this curriculum as an alternative to unit studies that I had been using.
Although it markets itself as an easy to use, all in one book, I found that I had to do more prep than I expected. With 4 little ones (2 not yet in school), I hoped for something less consuming.
I was disappointed by the number of spelling and grammar errors I found. Several of the books listed in the additional reading areas were out of print, or misspelled, and therefore difficult to track down.
Maybe if I only had one student doing the program...?