Leap Frog

dtrpath27

• Reviewed on Sunday, November 1, 2009
  • Grades Used: pre-school
  • Dates used: 2001-present
My daughter was given LeapFrog's fridge phonics toy (not sure of exact name) when she was only a year old. She absolutely couldn't get enough of it, and was always singing the little letter songs. I have a lot of young nieces and nephews; they always head straight for the fridge phonics when they come over. I have bought them as gifts before, and these kids love them too. Considering it has almost been a decade, and the little ones still can't get enough, I would say it was money well-spent on an educational toy.

wandac

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 1, 2009
  • Grades Used: preschool
  • Dates used: 2004-2007
We have several leapfrog products, but this review is primarily for the Talking Letter Factor DVD. Both of my boys easily learned their letter sounds from this DVD. In fact, my youngest solidly knew his letter sounds at age 1. The song is catchey and we sang it in the car, while on the swings, and just anytime we needed to fill time. For our family, this DVD is pure gold. The only thing I would suggest adding is some alphabet flashcards.

The other DVDs in the series are nice, but none are as useful as The Talking Letter Factory. We own 5 leapfrog DVDs: Talking Letter Factory, Talking Word Factory, Code Word Caper, Math Circus, and Storybook (forget the exact title). My second favorite is Talking Word Factory. The remaining DVDs rarely get played at our house.

These DVDs run about $10 each and the Talking Letter Factory is well worth it.

policewife

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: k - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2004 - present
I've been a huge fan of the leapfrog letter factory dvd not only for fun but to intro gentle phonics. Both my dd's took to these at age 2 and at age 3 were ready to orally do ETC primers.
Today each of my girls loves the leapster game system. I love that as they play them (at night before bed or on long car rides) they are learning. Very good product and very educational. Not just mindless game play.

srs

• Reviewed on Friday, May 23, 2008
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2005-2008
For the most part, I like the Leap Frog brand. We have the Letter Factory, Talking Word Factory and Math Circus DVDs, and although she doesn't seem to have gotten much from the math one (but she loves to watch it - I think math just has to be a hands-on thing for her), the Letter Factory has taught her the letters and their sounds and she is starting to understand how to put the letters together to make words. We also bought the Fridge Phonics single letter and Word Whammer toys, which also help with comprehension, since it features the same characters and songs from the DVDs.

One toy we did not like at all, though, was the Littletouch Leap Pad I bought when she was a toddler. My daughter had approximately zero interest in any of the books, except the Winnie the Pooh one, and then only in the characters - attempting to read the story would lead to either rebellion or disinterest, so I have not had any interest in buying any of the other Leap Pad products.