Laurel Springs School

eliha

• Reviewed on Friday, November 17, 2017
  • Grades Used: 9th and 10th
  • Dates used: 2016-2017
Laurel Springs has been a big disappointment. Both my sons have taken a course, and have had tremendous difficulty with the administration and teachers. My sons have been extremely frustrated. in the beginning, I was told the class would be one price, only to be told later that required lab materials were $60. more. I should have known then that problems lay ahead. They continually lock students out of class, telling them to contact the teacher, who then say to contact student services, who then says contact the teacher. They then charge an extra $75.00 per week for the child not finishing on time. Please do not sign up your child for classes with Laurel Springs unless you have time to call them frequently, and to keep calling them back when they don't communicate with you, and if your child has no other responsibilities. My "A" student is now completely stressed out. Dealing with this school has been a disaster.

PhilS54321

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 15, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
Our 17 year old son attended Laurel Springs School in 2016. We chose Laurel Springs because it allowed our son to take classes at his own speed as his academic ability allowed (he’s academically gifted, most classes go too slow for him). We found the Academic Advisor to be very helpful, and the teachers communicated often with our son, Pre-Calc and Chemistry in particular. Also, the Laurel Springs administration was most accommodating, and even helped us with a medical leave of absence when we needed it. Overall it was a very positive experience.

franklyput

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 4, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
We completed Laurel Springs Algebra summer course.

First, the pros:
Convenient
Accredited
Comprehensive
Relatively fast communication from Student Services

Now, the cons:
EXPENSIVE - holy cow, for what you get, which is almost nothing but an online text book, this is a major expense (and a disappointment).

NOT at ALL what was advertised in terms of variety of learning sources: it is ALL text based, fast paced, and not good for anyone that has trouble learning from reading. If your child has a reading issue, such as Dyslexia, STAY AWAY.

Hardly any teacher interaction.
You will NEED to pay a tutor if you don't know math very well. So, back to EXPENSIVE as you need someone to teach the content (unless your child is a genius - mine isn't).

Fast paced - yep, moves like the wind.

My son has an LD in reading, and they ASSURED us that LSS would be a perfect fit. Wow, that was not the case at all. We had to find all sorts of videos on YouTube to help my son get through the lessons, and then, when that just wasn't working, I had to hire a tutor. There is SO MUCH content in the course I do not recommend taking it in the summer for an intensive. We did math SIX hours daily. It was pretty terrible, and I am terrible at math. It may take a child without an LD less time, but I don't have an LD and it was pretty arduous. Thankfully, my son is good at math.

I was hoping there would be some online classes or at least videos of all the lessons (seriously, for the money, they should have a whole LIBRARY of the content on video)! A 45 minute video option would have been SO HELPFUL. Instead, my son and I went hunting around online for videos for my son to watch (thanks to ProfRobBob on YouTube - the guy is the BEST for upper math video lessons).

My whole point is: for the money I should not have had to spend many hours after my work day sitting with my son looking up videos or outright reading him the content.

I emailed the teacher often, and I heard back rarely. My son often wrote in the Discussion Based assignments (he gets to give feedback) that he wanted more help, videos, or SOME sort of link to give him more access to the content. Nothing happened.

Michelle Holland

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 7, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014
Do not waste your money on this school. Expensive and the sales people are like sharks. They called me non-stop once I requested information and pressured me to sign up. Not worth the money at all just a complete waste!