Laurel Springs School

firewhirrrl

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 22, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd- customized program
  • Dates used: 2012
I was scared to homeschool. But I tried it.
I had chosen Laurel springs because they seemed to be experienced and really together. They have excellent customer service.

We had to do a lot of money scraping, but what I will say is this. What I recieved was exponentially more then what I was paying for. Worth every penny, our lives ( me, my daughters and my husbands) have been improved... Forever.

I will be sending my other child here too. Despite the other free homeschooling/ online options which are avaliable locally.... I would pay again and again for this school.

This is a place where kids are succeeding, yet the tone is non-competitive, non-pressured, and utterly inspiring. It makes my daughte want to learn, she seeks more and more resources about her work, and her teacher continues to provide me with sage advice on how to build this experience for my child.

Her teacher EXCELLS with younger gifted children. She is the ultimate success story of homeschooling for her own gifted child. Her ideas are KILLER, practical and she is insightful, and solid.

This whole experience has changed our whole families lives. And LSS staff has been a guiding light. My whole reality has shifted for the better. My daughter has changed her whole attitude on life. In fact she actually hand washed 10 dishes and made her grandmother lunch.
She sees herself as able, capable and worthy. Normally shy and insecure... She is being cultivated to engage in her world. To investigate and to live. The schools motto " take the pressure off" worked for both me and for her.

This school is best for gifted and talented student, but soon my other daughter will attend here too.

So, even if your a poor single income family, and financially strapped.... This is money we scraped together, and a financial detriment.... And I would do it again.... In fact, in the fall I will do it again:).

greenmamato1

• Reviewed on Friday, August 5, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
I had debated using Laurel Springs for one class for our son. However, when I called to receive more information, the rep on the phone was very unprofessional. I let that slide, and after a few months, decided to call and speak to an admissions counselor. She told me that she would send me a course syllabus and temporary access to check out the online format. Weeks passed and nothing. After a follow-up call, I was finally sent the information. While skimming the online content, I realized that a few of the links were not operational. Also, one assignment required the student to analyze the information on five different websites and then write a scientific paper. Having a master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction, I completed a reading level analysis of the websites' content and found out that the average reading comprehension level was post high school. The assignment seemed very thrown together, and in the end I could not justify the $650 for one course.

ajuliagulia

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 18, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010
I paid thousands of dollars for Laurel Springs because I thought that I would be able to transfer my son to a public school if necessary and figured that their being accredited might help in some way. We kept up to date with the curriculum and were told by Laurel Springs that my son was doing fine.

Later in the year, we had to transfer to public school. We bought a house in an area where the school was one of the lowest ranking schools in our county (the house was absolutely gorgeous - I couldn't resist).

When my son started his new public school, he was behind the rest of his class in several areas.

I'm very disappointed in both the curriculum and the lack of support I received from Laurel Springs.

oasislive

• Reviewed on Monday, August 2, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009
My son went to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M191vJ5R--Y">Laurel Springs School</a> and it was great while we were overseas.