Laurel Springs School

HomeschlMom2003

• Reviewed on Friday, November 14, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I was thrilled and eager for my son to start 9th grade with Laurel Springs. I was excited that he will become apart of an online community for the next 4 years that he will make friends and learn at the same time. Laurel Springs made several unfilled promises.

The Pros:
-Dashboard/Portal of grades
-Online school (we didn’t need a lot of materials)
-They provide a learning style assessment ($250)
-Use turnit-in for written assignments

The Cons:
-Promised to teach to learning style, but none of the courses were tailored to my son’s learning style
-A lot of the curriculum is linked to public websites that you can find yourself
-Many website links were outdated and expired
-Unidentified Sources
-LSS-live (homework help center) does not help student, they redirect the student to his/her teacher
-Teacher did not show up for i-class
-Lost some of his work when he transitioned from textbook Algebra to online Algebra
-Lots of Busy work
-One month Orientation Course that was meaningless, required and expensive.
-Several busy work tactics to force child to need an extension$$$
-Biology teacher took 5 days to respond to email
-Labs are incomplete
-Several misspelled words in curriculum
-Remedial Algebra
-Major communication gap between teachers, tech support, and administration
-Tests will include work that is not taught on assignments
-Assignments are gated to until teachers grade it. (This could take a while another tactic to force extensions $$$)
-Laurel teaches on plagiarism, but plagiarizes websites and student’s work
-Extremely difficult to receive refund (ignored emails, avoiding phone calls, switching phone calls to meaningless departments, promised to send refund on a particular date, I received it 4 months later)

firewhirrrl

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 22, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd- customized program
  • Dates used: 2012
I was scared to homeschool. But I tried it.
I had chosen Laurel springs because they seemed to be experienced and really together. They have excellent customer service.

We had to do a lot of money scraping, but what I will say is this. What I recieved was exponentially more then what I was paying for. Worth every penny, our lives ( me, my daughters and my husbands) have been improved... Forever.

I will be sending my other child here too. Despite the other free homeschooling/ online options which are avaliable locally.... I would pay again and again for this school.

This is a place where kids are succeeding, yet the tone is non-competitive, non-pressured, and utterly inspiring. It makes my daughte want to learn, she seeks more and more resources about her work, and her teacher continues to provide me with sage advice on how to build this experience for my child.

Her teacher EXCELLS with younger gifted children. She is the ultimate success story of homeschooling for her own gifted child. Her ideas are KILLER, practical and she is insightful, and solid.

This whole experience has changed our whole families lives. And LSS staff has been a guiding light. My whole reality has shifted for the better. My daughter has changed her whole attitude on life. In fact she actually hand washed 10 dishes and made her grandmother lunch.
She sees herself as able, capable and worthy. Normally shy and insecure... She is being cultivated to engage in her world. To investigate and to live. The schools motto " take the pressure off" worked for both me and for her.

This school is best for gifted and talented student, but soon my other daughter will attend here too.

So, even if your a poor single income family, and financially strapped.... This is money we scraped together, and a financial detriment.... And I would do it again.... In fact, in the fall I will do it again:).

greenmamato1

• Reviewed on Friday, August 5, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
I had debated using Laurel Springs for one class for our son. However, when I called to receive more information, the rep on the phone was very unprofessional. I let that slide, and after a few months, decided to call and speak to an admissions counselor. She told me that she would send me a course syllabus and temporary access to check out the online format. Weeks passed and nothing. After a follow-up call, I was finally sent the information. While skimming the online content, I realized that a few of the links were not operational. Also, one assignment required the student to analyze the information on five different websites and then write a scientific paper. Having a master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction, I completed a reading level analysis of the websites' content and found out that the average reading comprehension level was post high school. The assignment seemed very thrown together, and in the end I could not justify the $650 for one course.

ajuliagulia

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 18, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010
I paid thousands of dollars for Laurel Springs because I thought that I would be able to transfer my son to a public school if necessary and figured that their being accredited might help in some way. We kept up to date with the curriculum and were told by Laurel Springs that my son was doing fine.

Later in the year, we had to transfer to public school. We bought a house in an area where the school was one of the lowest ranking schools in our county (the house was absolutely gorgeous - I couldn't resist).

When my son started his new public school, he was behind the rest of his class in several areas.

I'm very disappointed in both the curriculum and the lack of support I received from Laurel Springs.