Latin Road to English Grammar

drmeow

• Reviewed on Friday, July 14, 2006
  • Dates used: 2005-06
We had originally tried Latina Christiana and found it rather boring, and ds did not have a good understanding of English grammar, coming from public school, so we switched to LREG this past year. It has been wonderful for both the Latin and the English grammar aspect. It is set up very well, and the teacher just needs to stay a week or two ahead of the student. I'd had some high school Latin, so it wasn't unfamiliar, but I'd forgotten most of the Latin grammar. We will be doing the 2nd year next fall.

Shelley

• Reviewed on Sunday, February 8, 2004
  • Grades Used: 6th and up
  • Dates used: Sept 2002 to current (2004)
I highly recommend the Latin Road to English Grammar for learning Latin and learning English grammar. My now 9th grade students have been using this for a year and a half now and we are into the second volume. The teacher's manual is very clear and well-ordered with lessons plans for each topic and recommended daily activities. Barbara has done a wonderful job making this easy for the non-Latin-experienced home teacher, who, by the way, is supposed to do the lessons right along with the students. My children now know parts of speech much better than they did just using A Beka or other grammar books we have tried, because words in Latin must have endings which identify their use in the sentece. Translating from Latin to English is like doing advanced Mind Benders!

Deborah

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 29, 2003
  • Grades Used: 6th grade
  • Dates used: 2003-2004
Excellent Excellent Excellent!!!! Says my daughter! :) My children follow the self-teaching method to learning. Which means they work independently and only come to me when they need help. I was searching for a Latin program for my daughter that would allow this method. The Latin Road to English Grammar is a perfect program for this approach if the student uses the Teacher Manual to follow. Don't worry, there are no answers provided in the Manual so this doesn't cause a problem.

Barbara Beers first teaches the cases and conjugation followed by the vocabulary. The student has to copy all their work learned daily in a notebook which causes it all to be memorized. My daughter ends the lesson with going over her flashcards. It takes her anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour to complete and she works on it 4 days a week. Her and I both coudn't be more pleased with this program.

Volume 1 is recommended for 6th graders, Volume 2 for 7th graders and Volume 3 for 8th graders. Yet it is possible to start this as early as 4th or 5th grade with a more hands-one approach.

Again, my daughter and I, highly recommend this program!